Question on auto population in static forms

We are using Static forms (No Sail involved) in which I need to have a grid.Grid consists of Six columns in which first is the dropdown and others are text field. Based on the value of first dropdown I have to auto populate values in the next 5 rows.
For example:
If dropdown value = 1,I have to auto populate A,B,C,D,E and if the user changes the dropdown value to 2,I have to auto populate the rest columns to F,G,H,I,J.
I know it is possible by using JavaScript but it is giving me a hard time. It will great if any one can share their thoughts on the same.

OriginalPostID-187771

OriginalPostID-187771

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• @palaniappanv I am assuming that you aren't aware of the 'Advanced Form Utilities' component and hence I am attaching a document which will elaborate the various functions present in the plugin in brief. Deploying 'Advanced Form Utilities' plugin allows you to make use of certain functions which will aid you in achieving dynamic functionalities. The advantage of this approach is, you probably need very less efforts in order to achieve the use case because the API will be already giving you the various builtin functions, and you just need to add few lines of JavaScript (I prefer JQuery) in combination. The downside of this approach is, we can't guarantee the working of the script in all the browsers and at the same time we can't guarantee the working of the script when Appian is upgraded. Also the debugging of script is highly difficult and at times the forms that has JavaScript (or JQuery or FormsAPI) behaves in a weird manner. Recently I have heard that there has been a security risk associated with 'Advanced Form Utilities' component, and am not sure if this is resolved or not.

And some other practitioners might give you an other option to achieve the same on form submit. This means that, initially you need to select a value in the dropdown and thereafter you need to submit the form. Upon submission of the form, you need to populate the process variables and provide them to the respective text fields. The only advantage of this is, the form could be mobile enabled if needed. The downside of this approach is that you will miss the dynamic functionality and the number of button clicks increases and also the form looks awkward with the increase in dynamic functionalities, ultimately this might be frustrating to the end user.

Also please bear in mind that usage of 'Advanced Form Utilities', JavaScript, JQuery etc is not appreciated.

Please find attached the documents from 'Advanced Form Utilities' component. Hope the explanation gives you leads.
  • Even I was aware of submitting the form and getting the value in pv and manipulating the needed result. I will try conveying the same to the client on the disadvantages of JavaScript and will take it further. Anyhow Thanks Sikhivahans for the quick and elaborated response.