Question on images and forms

Hello everyone!

I need to be able to do this inside a form:
- Select an image;
- Be able to highlight some points in that image;
- Save the new highlighted image.

An example is provided in the image attached. In black is the original image selected. In red are the highlights, and the new highlighted image.

Any idea what would be the best approach to do this?
Thanks in advance,

2.gif

OriginalPostID-187781

OriginalPostID-187781

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• @ricardoc With the available OOTB features, the best viable way would be to display an editable grid which consists of two columns - out of this, one column consists of an existing images, another column provides a possibility of uploading a replacement image. Image uploaded in the replacement image cell will replace the original image, and the newly uploaded image should be the one that would consists of any changes and all these changes should be made outside of Appian by a human. If a replacement image isn't provided the original image will be used as is and won't be replaced. I am not sure if this reaches your expectation, but I guess this is one of the ways of achieving the use case. Let's see if any other practitioners could come up with good alternatives.
  • I agree with the above option. The general idea is you download the image, make the changes in a photo editing program such as Microsoft Paint, and then upload a new version of that image in that same interface, based on current product functionality.
  • @sikhivahans @nick.vigilante Thanks for your input. My problem is that this application would be used mostly on mobile phones, so it would be tricky to download the image and edit it outside of the app. Isn't there any other option?

Thanks in advance
  • Agreed but *if* this is a strategic use case for you and justifies the investment you could look at integrating the user experience by using Appian Web API and process invocation by web service call to integrate a custom graphics editing app (C# on .Net would be easiest but Java could be made to work) with an Appian process. Enabling for mobile would be a consideration but you could probably mitigate that using an HTML5 solution. Like I said this is just in case this is a strategic use case that has to be seamless and justifies a programming investment
  • I don't think there's another way to do this in Appian. If you configure the interface correctly, you should have the option to view the image, save it locally to your device, then open that image in an image-editing app to make your desired changes. It's a bit of overhead, but it gets the job done.
    Certified Lead Developer
    Has a design change been considered for this? How about a fixed list of locations, a number of which can be selected in a grid and, when selected, a supporting picture is shown for each selection which helps verify the exact location that has been selected?
  • For the ability to edit photos, not as far as I've researched. I don't understand your suggestion and what locations have to do with this. Can you elaborate?
    Certified Lead Developer
    I'm reading into the requirements somewhat; as far as I can tell the requirement is to record a list of locations on a vehicle - perhaps a hire car? Anyway, rather than marking the locations on an image, it would be possible to make a comprehensive list of the possible locations (eg driver's side headlight, front bumper etc) and then record them in a grid? This way the data is actually reportable (eg 15 cars have damage on the headlight in the last 2 weeks) - if it's held as an image it's clearly not.

The other part of my suggestion was to support that comprehensive list of locations with an associated image - something like the image above, but with the location marked already - that way it would be clear exactly what part of the vehicle is being referred to.
  • That's a different approach from what I took, but assuming that this would be acceptable for the use case, I think that could work. I'm assuming that this is more for an auto body/auto mechanic wanting to indicate the locations of any blemishes on a vehicle, which varies for each car that may come into the shop, so it's difficult to give a preset list of locations. Just a guess.
    Certified Lead Developer
    Agreed, it may be difficult, but has a lot of advantages if it can be achieved. I'm definitely reading into the requirements quite a bit!