previous version of a Document in SAIL

hi all,
do you know how in SAIL can I show, for a given DocumentID, all its previous versions?
many thanks

OriginalPostID-261973

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Certified Lead Developer
    Hi Francesco,

The work around for your approach is that first you need to save each document individualy i mean don't let appian to create document versions.
    Save all the related document ids in database and keep a reference column so that you can pull all the related document ids
    Then you need to construct a URL to download the document with obtained doc id's. The URL for downloading documents can be seen below

forum.appian.com/.../106162

You can get "forum.appian.com/.../" using rule!APN_getSiteUrl() or you can keep it in a constant and this should be changed from environment to environment witn new URL

And keep the "doc/"" in a appian constant

Now construct the URL in a expression rule say getDocumentVersions() which takes document id as input. Code for the rule will be in below format
    rule!APN_getSiteUrl() & doc/ & documentId

Now you can use apply() to iterate newly created getDocumentVersions() rule for document ids obtained from DB

Hope this will help you.
    Certified Lead Developer
    Adding to the above, since you have doc id's you can use below code in an expression and iterate it.
    a!linkField(
    label: "",
    links: a!documentDownloadLink(
    document:
    )
    )
    This will be the better approach for creating document download link
  • hi @akkramanir,
    thanks for suggestion, but that's exactly what I was trying to avoid with my question :)
    in my use case I already have a relationship between different documents, so I don't want to add different rows in the DB just for the version change.
    what I need is to use the Appian versioning, and when a user select a document from a grid in SAIL, to show somewhere else (in another grid maybe) the list of previous version for that document.. but without having different documents as version
    Certified Lead Developer
    Hi Francesco,

There is a plugin in shared components which gives metadata of a document please refer the below link.
    forum.appian.com/.../summary

The only problem is that you cannot download the earlier versions of the documents since the old versions returned by the plugin have the same doc id.

I had the same scenario in my project and we opted for database to manage document versions. Lets see what other practitioners say.