Integrating with Relational Databases

Can Appian integrate with my database

The list of supported databases and versions can be found in the System Requirements.

Supported databases can utilize out-of-the-box functionality to query and update data:

If your database and version are not listed in the System Requirements, you can still connect to it as long as the vendor provides a JDBC driver. Note that any database not listed in the System Requirements cannot be used for the Appian primary data source, and will not be supported by Appian Support.

Unsupported databases can only be accessed using the Query Database Smart Service.

See Configuring Relational Databases for further information.

What are your high availability requirements

The high availability requirements for your database are determined by the vendor. Refer to the vendor’s documentation or ask your DBA for more information. Appian is unaware of the infrastructure that provides HA and only sees a single instance of the DBMS.

How many reads can I perform per second

Factors that can affect query performance and throughput include schema design, volume of data, and concurrency. See Database Schema Best Practices and Database Performance Best Practices for more information about optimizing your data design for performance.

Performance ultimately depends on which database you are using. Refer to the vendor’s documentation or ask your DBA for more information.

How can I recover my connection if it drops

Default connection recovery is configured in the application server. See your vendor’s documentation for details.

There are often different types of recovery available (for example, on a polling basis or every time a connection is checked out). Appian recommends configuring recovery on a polling basis to reduce overhead in each query.

What privileges does Appian need for the database connection

The Appian user should have read and write access to the Appian primary data source. Read access is required for business data sources, unless Appian will be writing data as well.

In general, the Appian user should have rights to only the schemas used by Appian, and not all schemas in the database.

Required database permissions

Appian data source*

Business data source managed by Appian*

External data source**

Permissions

DML, DDL

DML, DDL

DML

*Access rights required for database schemas created and managed by Appian.

**Access rights required for database schemas managed externally to Appian. Appian will generate DDL scripts to be executed by the DBA when publishing a data store.

NOTE:  The Allow Database Schema Changes Through Data Stores setting should match the data source access rights.

See Database Schema Best Practices for more information.