KB-1470 TLS FAQs

Table of Contents:

What is TLS?

TLS stands for transport layer security. It is used to secure data that is passed between a web server and a web browser or a web service.

What are low, medium, and high-level ciphers in regards to TLS?

TLS uses cipher suites (groups of ciphers) in order to encrypt data coming in and out of a web server. The level of the cipher depends on the version of TLS. Higher level ciphers can be used in more recent versions of TLS.

Can TLS be configured in Appian? Can it be configured in JDK?

TLS is configured on the web server and has nothing to do with Appian. It can be configured in JDK but those configurations will only be used when there is no web server.

I saw ciphers and TLS come up when I scanned my Appian environment. What does TLS have to do with Appian?

TLS related security issue do not have anything to do with Appian. TLS is configured in the web server (such as Apache or IIS). Since the web server controls traffic in and out of the Appian application server, TLS factors in the security used for that traffic. In order to resolve TLS issues, please work with your web server admins to get the right configurations on your web server.

Is TLS supported by Appian Cloud?

Yes, the web server is set up to support TLS. See KB-2091 for the TLS policies supported in Appian Cloud.

My web service/web browser only supports TLS 1.2. How do I make sure TLS 1.1 is not used instead?

Any supported TLS version in the web server will be used. If your web browser or web service only supports one version, the web server will use the same version unless that version is not supported.

Affected Versions

This article applies to all versions of Appian.

Last Reviewed: March 2020

Related
Recommended