Log Reader

Overview

Plug-in Notes:

• Allows only System Administrators or members of the Designers group to access log data.  
  • Does not load files outside the logs directory or files that do not end in .log.* or .csv.*.
  • On multi-application-server environments, logs will only be shown from a single application server.
  • Custom headers can be specified as an optional parameter. This is meant to be used for .csv files that don't contain a header.

Key Features & Functionality

The Appian Log Reader Plug-in contains functionality to:

• Read files in the Appian /log folder (.csv or .log) and return them as structured data
  • Aggregate data from a .csv file
  • Serve as the source for a service-backed record for viewing logs
Anonymous
Parents
  • Would it be possible to create a new version of the readCsvLog functions that doesn't strip out text-containing quotes as found in the original CSV file?  In particular the "Error Message" column is liable to have text that contains commas, and since each log row is returned as mere plaintext, in order to create a dictionary of data we're forced to use the split() function on commas.  But the function also removes the quote marks around strings that contain commas, so we have no way to verify we're splitting on the right things without really having to make big guesses.  I bring this up now because yet another corner case in the heuristics I was using to read the row data has cropped up, causing extra headaches.

Honestly I'm not sure why this function doesn't return CDT or at least JSON data - that would make it incredibly less of a headache to use.

As a concrete example, here's a row in the CSV file itself showing the error message wrapped in quotes:

Whereas here's the same row, straight out of the readCsvLogPaging() function (notice the quotes have been stripped by the plug-in):

CC: ,

• Edit: I just tried the newer "tailCsvLogPaging()" function and I notice it *does* include the quotes around the text column from the same row in question.  Unfortunately it seems the "tail..." function versions don't have a way of setting a start index for paging use, so I'm not sure exactly how to incorporate that into the tool I've previously created to allow paging through the Design_errors log.

• As an aside, it's majorly frustrating and confusing that Community fails to stack the in-thread replies in any comprehensible order here.

Comment Children
No Data