Log Reader

Overview

Plug-in Notes:

• Allows only System Administrators or members of the Designers group to access log data.  
  • Does not load files outside the logs directory or files that do not end in .log.* or .csv.*.
  • On multi-application-server environments, logs will only be shown from a single application server.
  • Custom headers can be specified as an optional parameter. This is meant to be used for .csv files that don't contain a header.

Key Features & Functionality

The Appian Log Reader Plug-in contains functionality to:

• Read files in the Appian /log folder (.csv or .log) and return them as structured data
  • Aggregate data from a .csv file
  • Serve as the source for a service-backed record for viewing logs
  • The Log Reader application provided with the download demonstrates a service-backed record for viewing logs, as well as reports on specific log files. Administrators can view reports on system health over time, including design best practices, system load, and database performance. The application also contains a process that checks details from system.csv and alerts administrators if memory or CPU utilization exceeds a threshold.
  • Tail a log file with tailcsv and taillog. Note that tail is an expensive operation which is optimized for reading the last few lines of a large log file. It's not advisable to tail the entire log file from the end to the beginning. However, tail will perform much better than the other log functions when reading the last few lines from a very large log file. Use the batch size and timestamp filters to limit the number of lines read by the tailcsv and taillog functions.
  • Takes a line of text in CSV format and returns a text array
Anonymous
  • Hi All,

I just noticed that whenever i read a login-audit file, the first line is always skipped while fetching the data. Is there is anyway to overcome this?

• Thanks for the heads up on this one, I'll investigate.

• The lack of a start index was an intentional design artifact. The tail plugin should always start from the end and work it's way backwards.

• Hey Mike is the owner of the plugin I will let him know about this. I did add a function called csvtotextarray. My expectation is that this function should correctly parse any CSV line returned by the smart service. I submitted the plugin update tonight.

• Also I've found that in the "tail..." function, filtering doesn't seem to work.  I tried a filter that "readCsvLogPaging" was able to use just fine (making sure to adjust to use "filterColumNumber" instead of column name), but it always returns zero results (using either "=" or "contains" operators on a known-good username).

• Edit: I just tried the newer "tailCsvLogPaging()" function and I notice it *does* include the quotes around the text column from the same row in question.  Unfortunately it seems the "tail..." function versions don't have a way of setting a start index for paging use, so I'm not sure exactly how to incorporate that into the tool I've previously created to allow paging through the Design_errors log.

• Would it be possible to create a new version of the readCsvLog functions that doesn't strip out text-containing quotes as found in the original CSV file?  In particular the "Error Message" column is liable to have text that contains commas, and since each log row is returned as mere plaintext, in order to create a dictionary of data we're forced to use the split() function on commas.  But the function also removes the quote marks around strings that contain commas, so we have no way to verify we're splitting on the right things without really having to make big guesses.  I bring this up now because yet another corner case in the heuristics I was using to read the row data has cropped up, causing extra headaches.

Honestly I'm not sure why this function doesn't return CDT or at least JSON data - that would make it incredibly less of a headache to use.

As a concrete example, here's a row in the CSV file itself showing the error message wrapped in quotes:

Whereas here's the same row, straight out of the readCsvLogPaging() function (notice the quotes have been stripped by the plug-in):

CC: ,

• Ok great! I'll look for the update from the community

• - that sounds like a good feature.  I won't be able to test it in our case because I had appian support archive the older design_errors.csv file in all our environments, which proved out my theory that it was breaking because the number of columns changed over time.  But that means I no longer have a version to test this against.  However anyone who has an instance that's been around since the '19 versions or so, should be able to reproduce the issue and test if the new functionality works.

• I've added a function that reads the CSV in reverse. Please see if this works for your use case. Note that reading a CSV in reverse is less efficient if you are going to read the whole file than it would be if you read it normally. However, reading the CSV in reverse is more efficient for large files if you are only reading a few lines at a time.