Custom email senders

Hi everyone,

I would like to set up a custom Email Sender based on a constant ( cons!AT_USER_CONSTANT ), and it should be able to select in process model --> Send Email --> From dropdown list

I have successfully set up the email-address-config-custom.xml and email-address-config-custom_en_US.properties

But when I changed the constant to another value, I found that:-

1) the Sender Email Address is indeed bound by the conf.mailhandler.mail.user in custom.properties. 

2) Appian indicates that "Multiple SMTP servers can be specified using a comma-separated list. They will be tried in the order specified and mail will be sent using the first available." (source :https://forum.appian.com/suite/help/16.2/Mail_Server_Setup.html#configuring-appian-to-send-email ) while an expression (i.e. "cons!xxx) cannot be referred in a custom.properties file

In that way, how would the Email Sender be dynamic as my cons! value changes? What should I do to make the Email Sender's email address dynamic, regardless of different servers?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents

• Is your concern that it's not picking up the correct custom sender variable that you've set in your constant? You should be able to setup a custom sender by using the steps in forum.appian.com/.../Configuring_Custom_Email_Senders.html in the Expression Email Address section. You'll need to restart the application before seeing the new configuration options in the Send Email node.
  • Dear johnm796,

Thank you for your reply, The so called "custom sender" is successfully set. However, my real concern would be whether Appian may dynamically use different email user and server based on my Custom Sender selection, to send email on behalf of different users  .

An example would be sending email on behalf of Harry Johnson (i.e. Harry Johnson <harryJohnson@abc.-company.com>) in the first time; after i change the constant, it would be sending as Tammy May (i.e. Tammy May <tammymay@abc.-company.com>) in the second time. The recipient should see the the two sample emails above in the "From" field of the emails , instead of a dynamic Sender name but with a STATIC SERVER EMAIL aside (e.g. Harry Johnson <static@abc.-company.com>; Tammy May <static@abc.-company.com>)

In the other words, can I set a multiple and dynamic variable at  conf.mailhandler.mail.user field in custom.properties?

Or are there any ways to achieve the same results?

A Score Level 1
    in reply to joanneh

joanneh

Within email-address-config-custom.xml you could set the your address of the custom sender in the expression as something like pv!customSender where you can then dynamically change the value of the from sender within the process model containing the send email node. This would allow you to send an email as harryJohnson@abc.-company.com and then another email as tammymay@abc.-company.com. This would deal with sending emails that are not supposed to originate from the system (i.e. system notifications/password resets).

However, the documentation doesn't suggest that you can dynamically set the notification email setting nor the conf.mailhandler.mail.user variable. It also states: 

• Multiple SMTP servers can be specified using a comma-separated list. They will be tried in the order specified and mail will be sent using the first available.
    Certified Senior Developer
    in reply to John M

Can someone help with the same setup for Appian 19.2

Reply Children