Local machine installation without FQDN and Error with starting up a local demo installation

I am trying to set up a local machine to practice and downloaded the temporary key and met all the prerequisites. While following the instructions to make changes to the custom.properties.<ENVIRONMENT>, I don't find any FQDN as per the instructions, so I put in a loopback address 127.0.0.1:8080, and finished all the instructions. I ran the validation and deployment configuration as advised and they show successful, but when I try to start Appian using the instructions, I don't see a successful message - I see two Java windows open up (one is zookeeper and elastic search). What am I missing? Is this  error due to the FQDN or some other attribute that I might have missed? Will appreciate help in this regards.

Thank you in advance 

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • jboss startup error.txt

Tried adding %SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem to the envrionment PATH and reinstalled Appian, this time Engine started, Search server started, but when starting the JBOSS, still there is an error :: Services which failed to start: service jboss.web.deployment.default-host./suite

And also an error when running search server stating The system cannot find the batch label specified - ensureSsP - so I followed some previous instructions and deleted the Plugin of appian-es-auth

So I stopped the JBOSS, Search server and engines, checked status and then deleted the failed and changed to dodeploy and tried again. But the issue is still present. Please help

Looking forward for help in fixing this issue.

Attached the server log and Jboss error too

2671.server.log

A Score Level 2
    in reply to davinenig
    This time the issue is with datasource not being able to be reached....

Please check the following things:

1. in jboss-eap-6.4/standalone/configuration/standalone.xml, <security-domain name="ds-name-security-primary" cache-type="default"> and <security-domain name="ds-name-security-business" cache-type="default"> name value matches with jboss-eap-6.4/standalone/deployments/appian-ds.xml file's <security-domain>ds-name-security-primary</security-domain> values....Also the jndi name in appian-ds.xml denoted by jdbc/AppianDS should match up in appian/ear/suite.ear/conf/custom.properties files' conf.data.APPIAN_DATA_SOURCE and conf.data.datasources properties...and also please remember to change appian-ds.xml.failed to appian-ds.xml.dodeploy....These things should resolve your issue.
  • I have the followed the instructions to grant permission from your previous advice. And for the database - while configuring MYSQL workbench I created appian and business database schemas - per the quick guide instructions (if that is what you are referring to as database)
    A Score Level 2
    in reply to davinenig
    Was the names of the databases that you created called appian17.4_primary and appian17.4_business? The server.log file shows it can't find a database by that name....
  • As per the quickstart guide instructions I provided APPIAN_SCHEMA & BUSINESS_SCHEMA naming

A Score Level 2
    in reply to davinenig
    ok then change the appian-ds.xml to like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <datasources xmlns="www.jboss.org/.../schema">
    <xa-datasource
    jndi-name="jdbc/AppianPrimaryDS"
    pool-name="MySqlDS"
    enabled="true"
    use-java-context="false">
    <xa-datasource-property name="serverName">localhost</xa-datasource-property>
    <xa-datasource-property name="portNumber">3306</xa-datasource-property>
    <xa-datasource-property name="databaseName">APPIAN_SCHEMA</xa-datasource-property>
    <xa-datasource-property name="useUnicode">true</xa-datasource-property>
    <xa-datasource-property name="characterEncoding">UTF-8</xa-datasource-property>
    <xa-datasource-class>com.mysql.jdbc.jdbc2.optional.MysqlXADataSource</xa-datasource-class>
    <driver>com.mysql.jdbc</driver>
    <security>
    <security-domain>ds-name-security-primary</security-domain>
    </security>
    <transaction-isolation>TRANSACTION_READ_COMMITTED</transaction-isolation>
    <xa-pool>
    <min-pool-size>5</min-pool-size>
    <max-pool-size>100</max-pool-size>
    </xa-pool>
    <timeout>
    <blocking-timeout-millis>5000</blocking-timeout-millis>
    <idle-timeout-minutes>5</idle-timeout-minutes>
    </timeout>
    </xa-datasource>
    <xa-datasource
    jndi-name="jdbc/AppianBusinessDS"
    pool-name="MySqlDS"
    enabled="true"
    <xa-datasource-property name="databaseName">BUSINESS_SCHEMA</xa-datasource-property>
    <xa-datasource-class>com.mysql.jdbc.jdbc2.optional.MysqlXADataSource</xa-datasource-class>
    <security>
    <security-domain>ds-name-security-business</security-domain>
    </security>
    <xa-pool>
    </xa-pool>
    <timeout>
    </timeout>
    </xa-datasource>
    </datasources>
  • Sure, will follow the above instruction and keep you updated soon. Thanks
  • When I tried doing the above instructions there is a new error while starting JBOSS -

15:56:04,589 ERROR [org.jboss.as.controller.management-operation] (ServerService Thread Pool -- 6) JBAS014612: Operation ("add") failed - address: ([
    ("subsystem" => "security"),
    ("security-domain" => "ds-name-security-primary")
    ]) - failure description: "JBAS014803: Duplicate resource [
    (\"subsystem\" => \"security\"),
    (\"security-domain\" => \"ds-name-security-primary\")
    ]"
    15:56:04,621 WARN [org.jboss.messaging] (ServerService Thread Pool -- 15) JBAS011618: There is no resource matching the expiry-address jms.queue.ExpiryQueue for the address-settings #, expired messages from destinations matching this address-setting will be lost!
    15:56:04,777 WARN [org.jboss.messaging] (ServerService Thread Pool -- 15) JBAS011619: There is no resource matching the dead-letter-address jms.queue.DLQ for the address-settings #, undelivered messages from destinations matching this address-setting will be lost!
    15:56:10,422 ERROR [org.jboss.as.server.deployment.scanner] (DeploymentScanner-threads - 1) JBAS015051: Deployment content C:\appian17.4\appian\bin\jboss\jboss-eap-6.4\standalone\deployments\appian-mysql-ds.xml appears to be incomplete and is not progressing toward completion. This content cannot be auto-deployed.
    15:56:10,437 ERROR [org.jboss.as.controller.management-operation] (Controller Boot Thread) "JBAS014784: Failed executing subsystem security boot operations"
    15:56:10,437 ERROR [org.jboss.as.controller.management-operation] (Controller Boot Thread) JBAS014612: Operation ("parallel-subsystem-boot") failed - address: ([]) - failure description: "\"JBAS014784: Failed executing subsystem security boot operations\""
    15:56:10,453 FATAL [org.jboss.as.server] (Controller Boot Thread) JBAS015957: Server boot has failed in an unrecoverable manner; exiting. See previous messages for details.
    15:56:10,484 INFO [org.jboss.as] (MSC service thread 1-8) JBAS015950: JBoss EAP 6.4.0.GA (AS 7.5.0.Final-redhat-21) stopped in 4ms
    A Score Level 2
    in reply to davinenig
    The reason why jboss stopped after a few lines is because you don't have enough RAM space to run everything...assuming you are running appian engines, search-server on the same machine....if you have additional things opened up on your laptop like a few browsers, its going to consume a lot of RAM space...so I would recommend the following two things:

1. Close out unnecessary things like any open browsers when you are about to start jboss.
    2. If you believe that you have closed out everything else and it still doesn't start, then we can change the memory settings....Open up jboss-eap-6.4/bin/standalone.conf.bat file and edit the following:

Change the below line from:
    set USER_MEM_ARGS=-Xms2048m -Xmx4096m -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError

To:

set USER_MEM_ARGS=-Xms1024m -Xmx2048m -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError

Or even lesser:

set USER_MEM_ARGS=-Xms512m -Xmx1024m -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError

The lower the memory setting we enforce, jboss will be slower to execute....just to let you know....

Try this out and let me know if you encounter any issues still..
  • Error Jboss.doc

Hi Aswin,

I changed the memory settings as you suggested, but still encounter the same exact error message. Please see the complete results of the commands in the attachment. Looking forward for your advice.

Thank you!

A Score Level 2
    in reply to davinenig

You need to change custom.properties to have the correct jndi name mentioned inside appian-ds.xml. Inside appian-ds.xml you have named primary and secondary databases's jndi name as jdbc/AppianPrimaryDS and jdbc/AppianBusinessDS.....so in custom.properties file it should be named the same. Looking at the logs, I noticed two problems:

1. jdbc/AppianDS is being mentioned. I assume you have that spelled out wrong inside custom.properties file. Please change to:

conf.data.APPIAN_DATA_SOURCE=jdbc/AppianPrimaryDS and conf.data.datasources=jdbc/AppianBusinessDS

2. Also please check appian-ds.xml, I see in the logs: 

Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Unknown database 'appian17.4_primary'

I assume that you created databases by the name "APPIAN_SCHEMA" and "BUSINESS_SCHEMA". So why appian17.4_primary? Please verify database name as APPIAN_SCHEMA and BUSINESS_SCHEMA inside appian-ds.xml.

Also one new thing I want you to try out is to set permission Mysql config.docxthrough SQL workbench. I am attaching a word doc of how I do it. Please follow that.

A Score Level 2
    in reply to davinenig

You need to change custom.properties to have the correct jndi name mentioned inside appian-ds.xml. Inside appian-ds.xml you have named primary and secondary databases's jndi name as jdbc/AppianPrimaryDS and jdbc/AppianBusinessDS.....so in custom.properties file it should be named the same. Looking at the logs, I noticed two problems:

1. jdbc/AppianDS is being mentioned. I assume you have that spelled out wrong inside custom.properties file. Please change to:

conf.data.APPIAN_DATA_SOURCE=jdbc/AppianPrimaryDS and conf.data.datasources=jdbc/AppianBusinessDS

2. Also please check appian-ds.xml, I see in the logs: 

Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Unknown database 'appian17.4_primary'

I assume that you created databases by the name "APPIAN_SCHEMA" and "BUSINESS_SCHEMA". So why appian17.4_primary? Please verify database name as APPIAN_SCHEMA and BUSINESS_SCHEMA inside appian-ds.xml.

Also one new thing I want you to try out is to set permission Mysql config.docxthrough SQL workbench. I am attaching a word doc of how I do it. Please follow that.

Children
  • Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Unknown database 'appian17.4_primary'

|

|

I used the default instruction from the quickstart guide to change the line in Repo file and not the original file. Do you want me to replace the line with <xa-datasource-property name="URL">jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/appian17.4_APPIAN_SCHEMA?useOldAliasMetadataBehavior=true</xa-datasource-property>

A Score Level 2
    in reply to davinenig

Yes...pls change your appian-ds.xml to the file being attached...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <xa-datasource
    jndi-name="jdbc/AppianPrimaryDS"
    pool-name="MySqlDS"
    enabled="true"
    <xa-datasource-property name="databaseName">APPIAN_SCHEMA</xa-datasource-property>
    <security>
    <security-domain>ds-name-security-primary</security-domain>
    </security>
    <xa-pool>
    </xa-pool>
    <timeout>
    </timeout>
    </xa-datasource>
    <xa-datasource
    jndi-name="jdbc/AppianBusinessDS"
    pool-name="MySqlDS"
    enabled="true"
    <xa-datasource-property name="databaseName">BUSINESS_SCHEMA</xa-datasource-property>
    <security>
    <security-domain>ds-name-security-business</security-domain>
    </security>
    <xa-pool>
    </xa-pool>
    <timeout>
    </timeout>
    </xa-datasource>
    </datasources>

• Still facing the error loading JBOSS. I have attached the CMD result and also the server log2480.server.lognew error.doc

To add, my computer has 8 GB of memory with no other application running. As adviced I have stopped all running tasks from Task manager too.

A Score Level 2
    in reply to davinenig
    Have you been following what I have been asking you to do?

1. Did you change custom.properties as I mentioned?Is the following property set like conf.data.APPIAN_DATA_SOURCE=jdbc/AppianPrimaryDS
    conf.data.datasources=jdbc/AppianBusinessDS

2. Is your database called APPIAN_SCHEMA and BUSINESS_SCHEMA?
    3. Did you give permission to root to access those schemas as I mentioned in a word doc using MySQL workbench?
    4. Is your MySQL service running from Services as I mentioned in the word doc for MySQL workbench?
    5. Is your standalone.xml, appian-ds.xml same as the one that I posted earlier? Don't do it through configure script...I told you sometimes configure script doesn't do things correctly. Directly modify the actual files in the actual folders with the content I gave you.
    6. Before running jboss are you changing the files appian/ear/suite.ear.failed to suite.ear.dodeploy and jboss-eap-6.4/standalone/deployments/appian-ds.xml.failed to appian-ds.xml.dodeploy? This needs to be done every time before you restart jboss..

If you have followed these steps I mentioned above, then it should have worked. It's been many posts now. If you can't still figure it out, sorry then I can't help.
  • Hi Aswin, thank you for patiently walking through the process.

1. Did you change custom.properties as I mentioned?Is the following property set like conf.data.APPIAN_DATA_SOURCE=jdbc/AppianPrimaryDS
    conf.data.datasources=jdbc/AppianBusinessDS
    __ Yes, I changed the custom.properties

2. Is your database called APPIAN_SCHEMA and BUSINESS_SCHEMA? Yes in the MySQL workbench, I created them as APPIAN_SCHEMA and BUSINESS_SCHEMA
    3. Did you give permission to root to access those schemas as I mentioned in a word doc using MySQL workbench? Yes, I provided the root access from workbench to both the created schemas
    4. Is your MySQL service running from Services as I mentioned in the word doc for MySQL workbench? Yes, I verified that the Mysql service was running
    5. Is your standalone.xml, appian-ds.xml same as the one that I posted earlier? Don't do it through configure script...I told you sometimes configure script doesn't do things correctly. Directly modify the actual files in the actual folders with the content I gave you.
    A: Not using configure script any more. Used the files that you posted.
    6. Before running jboss are you changing the files appian/ear/suite.ear.failed to suite.ear.dodeploy and jboss-eap-6.4/standalone/deployments/appian-ds.xml.failed to appian-ds.xml.dodeploy? This needs to be done every time before you restart jboss..
    A: Yes everytime I am changing this to dodeploy
    A Score Level 2
    in reply to davinenig
    The root cause of the error that jboss is failing to start looking at the log you sent is below:

ERROR org.hibernate.connection.DatasourceConnectionProvider - Could not find datasource: jdbc/AppianPrimaryDS
    19:32:25,586 INFO [stdout] (ServerService Thread Pool -- 162) javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: jdbc/AppianPrimaryDS -- service jboss.naming.context.java.jdbc.AppianPrimaryDS

Can you please post the following files....just want to do a final glance at it.

appian\ear\suite.ear\custom.properties
    jboss-eap-6.4\standalone\deployments\appian-ds.xml
    jboss-eap-6.4\standalone\configuration\standalone.xml

Also run the configure script and from option 6 choose to encode password...then enter the password for root and when the script spits out the output on the command prompt, can you copy that password from the cmd prompt and send it in your reply post along with these files...just want to ensure its the correct password hash mentioned inside standalone.xml...
    A Score Level 2
    in reply to davinenig
    Just want to throw one one more idea for you to try. Try removing the below mentioned lines from appian-ds.xml for both primary and business databases and see if it makes a difference:

• Hi Aswin,

Thank you for all the support extended so far, that was very helpful for me. I was able to resolve the issue by starting afresh. This time I named the Datasources in MySQL as Appian_Primary and Business_Primary and followed the instructions from the quick guide and that resolved the issue. I didn't modify any files in the original Appian directory, only the Repo files were changed and used the configure script.

For someone if they encounter the same error - please follow the naming as per above. The quick start guide is little confusing at the datasource configuration stages.

Regards