Issue with data-server startup @ Step 12 of "Quick Installation Guide"

I am trying to setup new server, I have received and successfully installed APPIAN temporary license too.

Unfortunately, I am stuck @ step 12 (Part Twelve: Start Appian and Log In), with “starting data-server” step (<APPIAN_HOME>\data-server\bin\start.bat).

Kindly see the ATTACHED screenshot with detailed error message and advice:

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Hello asifh ,

Can you provide more details about the error?

Moreover, validate that the following files have been updated properly:

• JAVA_HOME is part of your path in your system variables.
    • Add ";%JAVA_HOME%\bin" at the end of your PATH system variable. - remove quotes.
      • If you are using windows 10, validate that your environment variables are on a single line as follows:
      • <REPO_HOME>\ear\suite.ear\conf<ENVIRONMENT> 
        • uncomment - (removing #)
          • conf.suite.SCHEME=http
          • conf.suite.SERVER_AND_PORT=<PROVIDE A VALUE>:8080
          • conf.data.APPIAN_DATA_SOURCE=jdbc/AppianDS
        • <REPO_HOME>\bin\jboss\jboss-eap-6.4\standalone\deployments\appian-mysql-ds.xml.<ENVIRONMENT>
          • <xa-datasource-property name="URL">jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/<APPIAN_SCHEMA_HERE>?useOldAliasMetadataBehavior=true</xa-datasource-property>
        • Allow insecure cookies
          • <REPO_HOME>\ear\suite.ear\web.war\WEB-INF\web.xml

When Appian fails, verify the following:

• Verify that the following file exists and does not have the extensions .undeployed, .isdeploying or .failed:
      • <APPIAN_HOME>\_admin\_scripts\configure\templates\ear\suite.ear.dodeploy
        • Do not delete this file. 
    • Delete the following file if it has the extensions .undeployed, .isdeploying or .failed:
      • <JBOSS_HOME>\standalone\deployments\appian-mysql-ds.xml.deployed
  • Hello Jonathan,
    Thank you very much for your response, I have verified all the settings you've mentioned in your response but unfortunately still facing the same issue.

Kindly see the detailed error message below, it appears while trying to execute data-server startup step:

C:\Appian181\appian\data-server\bin>start.bat
    0 [main] INFO com.appian.data.TopologyFactory - Loading topology C:\Appian181\a
    ppian\data-server\bin\..\conf\appian-topology.xml
    1297 [main] INFO com.appian.data.server.config.CustomPropertiesConfiguration -
    Configuration file custom.properties was loaded successfully. (Reload check = 30
    000 ms)
    1313 [main] INFO com.appian.data.server.Watchdog - Initializing log4j (processN
    ame=wd-5400, logsDir=C:\Appian181\appian\data-server\bin\..\..\logs\data-server)
    from C:\Appian181\appian\data-server\bin\..\conf\log4j.properties
    2018-04-08 08:08:37,191 wd-5400 [main] INFO com.appian.data.server.JvmStarter -
    Starting JVM: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_161\jre\bin\java.exe -server -Duse
    r.timezone=GMT -Xms64m -Xmx128m -Dds.home=C:\Appian181\appian\data-server\bin\..
    -cp C:\Appian181\appian\data-server\bin\..\lib\appian-data-server-classpath-0.7
    2.2.jar com.appian.data.server.Watchdog -f
    2018-04-08 08:08:47,623 wd-5400 [main] ERROR com.appian.data.server.Watchdog - S
    hutting down with exit code 1...
    com.appian.data.server.UnrecoverableError: Lost WebSocket connection with localh
    ost:5400. The target JVM process exited abnormally. Check for earlier errors (e.
    g. JVM startup errors).
    at com.appian.data.server.HeartbeatListener$SyncHeartbeatListenerBuilder
    .create(HeartbeatListener.java:157)
    at com.appian.data.server.JvmStarter.startSync(JvmStarter.java:45)
    at com.appian.data.server.Watchdog.main(Watchdog.java:697)
    Caused by: java.io.IOException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by th
    e remote host
    at sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher.read0(Native Method)
    at sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher.read(SocketDispatcher.java:43)
    at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.readIntoNativeBuffer(IOUtil.java:223)
    at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.read(IOUtil.java:192)
    at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.read(SocketChannelImpl.java:380)
    at io.netty.buffer.PooledUnsafeDirectByteBuf.setBytes(PooledUnsafeDirect
    ByteBuf.java:288)
    at io.netty.buffer.AbstractByteBuf.writeBytes(AbstractByteBuf.java:1100)

at io.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioSocketChannel.doReadBytes(NioSocketCha
    nnel.java:367)
    at io.netty.channel.nio.AbstractNioByteChannel$NioByteUnsafe.read(Abstra
    ctNioByteChannel.java:118)
    at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKey(NioEventLoop.jav
    a:610)
    at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeysOptimized(NioEve
    ntLoop.java:551)
    at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeys(NioEventLoop.ja
    va:465)
    at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.run(NioEventLoop.java:437)
    at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$5.run(SingleThread
    EventExecutor.java:873)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to asifh
    This is almost exactly the same error I've had. The only difference is with me, the Watchdog whatever it is times out because it's not able to find a heartbeat.
    A Score Level 1
    in reply to asifh
    Three Probable Reasons:

1.Java Path
    2.Data Server Not running
    3.Port <5400> is not available

Can you share the Server Logs and as well as the services logs?
  • @Benhali: We are facing same issue.
    We have checked 1. Java Path is fine and Data Server is not Running Properly, It is giving above error.
    3. Where can we check the Port Number Issue?
    Thanks InAdvance.
Reply Children
    A Score Level 1
    in reply to venkateshs329
    Can you share the Server Logs and as well as the services logs?
  • Hi Venkatash,
    if it is related to data-server specifically, then below had fixed my problem:
    o In case unable to start and see the following exception:
    2018-04-30 07:44:37,380 wd-5400 [main] ERROR com.appian.data.server.Watchdog - Shutting down with exit code 1...
    com.appian.data.server.UnrecoverableError: Established WebSocket connection but failed to receive heartbeat from data-server:5400
    Open <APPIAN_HOME>\data-server\conf\appian-topology.xml document and find data-server node <data-server-cluster><data-server port="5400" host="data-server" rts-count="1"/></data-server-cluster> and replace the highlighted “data-server” with server name or localhost
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to asifh
    I was about to post the same. Go to Repo-Home \ data-server\conf\appian-topology.xml.<your environment> and you can deploy the same when you rerun step 10, if that's your preference. I used localhost for my FQDN in the FQDN step, and localhost for all listed in appian-topology including data-server, and then it worked for me. I switched out localhost for my computer's listed FQDN for all three and it still worked.

I haven't had any issues loading data-server since I've done that.
  • After this changes we are able to run the Data Server and Jboss Successfully!!.
    But here is the issue After enter the credentials it is navigating to 401 page.
    Could anyone help me out on this.
    Thanks and In Advance.
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to venkateshs329
    There are 2 more threads about this issue. According to them, it's likely the password.properties file. I know I dealt many times with forgetting the password.properties file, in step 11.

Shut everything down. Redeploy your configurations. Then edit the password.properties per step 11, then start everything again. The gentleman in those threads also recommends deleting the password.properties file after everything is running but before you log in the first time. Couldn't hurt to try with and without doing that, I say.