Platform migration strategy

Hi,

I would like to know the recommended strategy for migrating an on premise Appian Platform.

If I have 500 applications in my plateform, I can't reasonably ask each project to assure the compatibility of their application for a new version of the platform if I migrate each year. I need each project to be able to upgrade at his own pace.

1./ Should I have a parallel upgraded platform ? Then I can migrate application by application. But how do I transfer process data for a specific application ?

2./ Or maybe the platform garanties that applications are still working and that they are using deprecated functionnalities (That the project have time to correct before the next release).

What is the recommended strategy ?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Hi Julien,

I think there are multiple aspects in your questions :
    1/ the migration from one environment to another can be performed with different granularity: a single object, a selection of objects, a full application, multiple applications. So potentially you can perform a wide migration of objects as once.
    2/ if you reach the point of having 500 application to migrate, you should have setup a DevOpps approach including automated deployment and test automation that will help you to streamline your migration process overall and ensure consistency. Appian Playbook is detailing the How on this.
    3/ you can find best practices on Community regarding the best practices to implement the processes by ensuring they can be easily upgraded: docs.appian.com/.../Process_Upgrade.html
    4/ regarding the platform upgrades if you upgrade the environement at each Appian version you will minimise the risk of issue in particular if you can avoid using plugin. Each Appian release publishes a list of deprecation, so you need as a prework to migration ensuring you're not affected by the deprecations if any
  • Hi Julien,

I think there are multiple aspects in your questions :
    1/ the migration from one environment to another can be performed with different granularity: a single object, a selection of objects, a full application, multiple applications. So potentially you can perform a wide migration of objects as once.
    2/ if you reach the point of having 500 application to migrate, you should have setup a DevOpps approach including automated deployment and test automation that will help you to streamline your migration process overall and ensure consistency. Appian Playbook is detailing the How on this.
    3/ you can find best practices on Community regarding the best practices to implement the processes by ensuring they can be easily upgraded: docs.appian.com/.../Process_Upgrade.html
    4/ regarding the platform upgrades if you upgrade the environement at each Appian version you will minimise the risk of issue in particular if you can avoid using plugin. Each Appian release publishes a list of deprecation, so you need as a prework to migration ensuring you're not affected by the deprecations if any
Children
No Data