Platform migration strategy

Hi,

I would like to know the recommended strategy for migrating an on premise Appian Platform.

If I have 500 applications in my plateform, I can't reasonably ask each project to assure the compatibility of their application for a new version of the platform if I migrate each year. I need each project to be able to upgrade at his own pace.

1./ Should I have a parallel upgraded platform ? Then I can migrate application by application. But how do I transfer process data for a specific application ?

2./ Or maybe the platform garanties that applications are still working and that they are using deprecated functionnalities (That the project have time to correct before the next release).

What is the recommended strategy ?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Hi Julien -

I'd like to ensure I understand the question:
    When you say: "strategy for migrating an on premise Appian Platform" - are you asking about strategy to...

(a) manage on-premises SDLC; development, test, and production release ?
    OR
    (b) manage a one-time migration of everything on an on-premises installation to a different [possibly cloud] install
    OR
    (c) something else....
    ?
  • Hi Julien,

I think there are multiple aspects in your questions :
    1/ the migration from one environment to another can be performed with different granularity: a single object, a selection of objects, a full application, multiple applications. So potentially you can perform a wide migration of objects as once.
    2/ if you reach the point of having 500 application to migrate, you should have setup a DevOpps approach including automated deployment and test automation that will help you to streamline your migration process overall and ensure consistency. Appian Playbook is detailing the How on this.
    3/ you can find best practices on Community regarding the best practices to implement the processes by ensuring they can be easily upgraded: docs.appian.com/.../Process_Upgrade.html
    4/ regarding the platform upgrades if you upgrade the environement at each Appian version you will minimise the risk of issue in particular if you can avoid using plugin. Each Appian release publishes a list of deprecation, so you need as a prework to migration ensuring you're not affected by the deprecations if any
  • Hi.
    I mean migrating the 19.1 on premise version of appian to the 20.1 on premise version for example.
    How do I do to migrate my 500 applications which are on the platform ?
    What is the best strategy ?
  • Thanks, I've seen the answer.
    Basically, Robert recommands to work as a big bang :
    - first we migrate the qt platform and ask people to test their application.
    - then we update the production when everything is ok

I was thinking at a second way of doing :
    - We keep the current production version of the platform (19.2)
    - We have a new production version of the platform (20.1)
    - We migrate each application and its data from the old of the new (but I have serious doubts for the process data part)

• Julien, Appian is fully committed to backwards compatibility. Whether you have 1 application or 500, it should be the case that they all work seamlessly after an update to the Appian platform. If you ever encounter any issues with this, simply create a support case, and we'll be happy to work with you to quickly resolve them.

Occasionally, some functionality will be deprecated. In these cases, we will not simply pull it out from under you. We will mention the deprecation in the release notes, suggest that you stop using the deprecated functionality for new development, and give you ample time to transition to replacement functionality before we even consider removing the deprecated functionality. We recognize that many customers are using Appian at large scale, and we approach deprecation with this in mind. I'll also note that cases of removal are rare, and almost always apply to functionality that we've been able to confirm is not in use (and, again, always follow a lengthly deprecation process).