In both Appian 7.2 and 7.3, the conf.suite.ALERT_MESSAGE_LIMIT configuration pro

In both Appian 7.2 and 7.3, the conf.suite.ALERT_MESSAGE_LIMIT configuration property doesn't seem to work as intended. Specifically, the message entry box in the Process Modeler states that I have a limit that aligns with the limit I've set, but it will never allow me to save the message if it exceeds 1000 characters. I've changed the setting, saved the custom.properties file, and then restarted Appian. Is this a bug, or am I missing another required setting somewhere?...

OriginalPostID-88126

OriginalPostID-88126

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• You may have to increase the limit on words and paragraphs as well, check out this link for more information on data capping forum.appian.com/.../Configuring_Data_Capping
  • I've increased the conf.suite.DATA_CAP_PARAGRAPHS setting as well. That allowed me to send emails with message bodies greater than 1000 characters as anticipated. Now I'm trying to do the same with alerts. I appreciate your note but don't see how any of the other data capping properties would apply in this case, as none of my words or sentences exceed the default, allowable amounts.
  • It's a little bit confusing but this is the way it works for the Send Alert Smart Service:

1. conf.suite.DATA_CAP_PARAGRAPHS is used to DISPLAY the message at the bottom of the "Edit Content - Alert Message" window:

Maximum length of x characters

2. But actually that number will NOT limit the size of the alert message while this property will limit it:

conf.suite.ALERT_MESSAGE_LIMIT

3. As you can see one is used for display purposes while the other is actually used for the real validation, ideally you want to make both match to avoid an inconsistency.

Easy way to test:

1. Stop the application server
    2. Edit custom.properties (under "ear" or "runtime_ear" if using the PS Build) as follows:

conf.suite.DATA_CAP_PARAGRAPHS=2001
    conf.suite.ALERT_MESSAGE_LIMIT=2002

3. Start the application server
    4. Open the "Edit Content-Alert Message" window and confirm the text reads:

Maximum length of 2001 characters

5. But now copy and paste the content of this file forum.appian.com/.../112986 which contains 2002 characters. See how you WILL BE ABLE to save the message even though it exceeds what the "Maximum length of 2001 characters".
  • Given this can be confusing, the behavior has been reported to our Engineering Team under the reference number AN-51693.

-Eduardo Fuentes
    Appian Technical Support
  • Thanks, Eduardo. I was also curious about the limit for email message bodies, and I discovered that a 2000 character limit (conf.suite.DATA_CAP_PARAGRAPHS) is actually a 1,992 character limit. Is this because extra characters are inserted into the paragraph for email message bodies behind the scenes? Perhaps this can also be reported to the Engineering team?