Is there a function or smart service to find what application container a given object is part of?

Is there any function or smart service, in any of the Appian versions, that allows me to get the application container(s) a given Appian object is part of?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Hi Erick - 

As you're probably aware, this can be done manually with the dependency checker.

To my knowledge there is no such function to perform this kind of check systematically.

Are you troubleshooting something?

• I am trying to build application-centric reports for my management using usage log files such as sites_usage.csv and records_usage.csv. We would like to show how newly deployed applications are used and their trends. For this, I want to relate sites, records and process models to applications. I have a design in mind IF I am able to get the application container(s) those objects are part of. I noticed there is a log file called hc-application-objects.csv which contains all the applications UUIDs and objects; however, still not sure when does this file gets updated in the server.Do you have the answer to this? Do you know of any other way I can approach this?

• I wonder if there is an implicit assumption that a Site or a Record is related to an Application in a 1:1 relationship, which definitely doesn't have to be true. For example, a Record might be an Enterprise-shareable asset and thus feature in many Business Applications. In contrast, an Appian "Application" is, at its most basic, a technical "container' for a set of related objects. A "Business Application" might (and often does) reference objects from other "Applications")

So, I'd encourage you to re-visit the requirements being set by you management and see if you really need to establish the relationships you say you need.

• To answer your question about the hc-application-objects.csv - this ought to be updated every time the Appian Healthcheck process runs in your site.

There are a myriad of heathcheck (HC-) prefixed files that are created out of this process. But as Stewart suggests, unless you have a distinct 1:1 relationship of objects belonging to a dedicated application, the requirement may be very difficult to achieve.

On our organisational set up, we have many distinct business applications but they share common processing routines and share objects from other applications (reuse) to achieve the business outcome. 

• I am okay with one object to be part of many applications; I already accounted for that. Thanks for everyone inputs.