Is there a function or smart service to find what application container a given object is part of?

Is there any function or smart service, in any of the Appian versions, that allows me to get the application container(s) a given Appian object is part of?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Hi Erick - 

As you're probably aware, this can be done manually with the dependency checker.

To my knowledge there is no such function to perform this kind of check systematically.

Are you troubleshooting something?

• I am trying to build application-centric reports for my management using usage log files such as sites_usage.csv and records_usage.csv. We would like to show how newly deployed applications are used and their trends. For this, I want to relate sites, records and process models to applications. I have a design in mind IF I am able to get the application container(s) those objects are part of. I noticed there is a log file called hc-application-objects.csv which contains all the applications UUIDs and objects; however, still not sure when does this file gets updated in the server.Do you have the answer to this? Do you know of any other way I can approach this?

• I wonder if there is an implicit assumption that a Site or a Record is related to an Application in a 1:1 relationship, which definitely doesn't have to be true. For example, a Record might be an Enterprise-shareable asset and thus feature in many Business Applications. In contrast, an Appian "Application" is, at its most basic, a technical "container' for a set of related objects. A "Business Application" might (and often does) reference objects from other "Applications")

So, I'd encourage you to re-visit the requirements being set by you management and see if you really need to establish the relationships you say you need.

• I wonder if there is an implicit assumption that a Site or a Record is related to an Application in a 1:1 relationship, which definitely doesn't have to be true. For example, a Record might be an Enterprise-shareable asset and thus feature in many Business Applications. In contrast, an Appian "Application" is, at its most basic, a technical "container' for a set of related objects. A "Business Application" might (and often does) reference objects from other "Applications")

So, I'd encourage you to re-visit the requirements being set by you management and see if you really need to establish the relationships you say you need.

Children
No Data