Limit on Displayed Data in a Record

Is there a default limit to the amount of data displayed within a Record view?  I have a view that has 235 rows and 40 columns. When I try to display the data from this view, only 42 rows appear.  I can export the full dataset and I can search for and filter for the full range of values in the table.  But the row count and pagination isn't showing the correct values. 

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

Is this for a record list?  If this is for a record list I would very much consider removing all columns you don't intend on displaying from your query expression.  You want the minimum amount of information possible to have a user be able to distinguish between one record and another. 

The larger view with 40 full columns you could use for the record summary view, which will only display for one row at a time after the user has selected a record.

In answer to your question, I believe you may be reaching the default limit of total bytes a database query will return.  This is done to prevent queries that would take far too long to complete.  By being selective about the columns you return, you can reduce the total data coming in for all 235 rows.  This will be vitally important if you expect the number 235 to grow at any point.

Certified Lead Developer

Is this for a record list?  If this is for a record list I would very much consider removing all columns you don't intend on displaying from your query expression.  You want the minimum amount of information possible to have a user be able to distinguish between one record and another. 

The larger view with 40 full columns you could use for the record summary view, which will only display for one row at a time after the user has selected a record.

In answer to your question, I believe you may be reaching the default limit of total bytes a database query will return.  This is done to prevent queries that would take far too long to complete.  By being selective about the columns you return, you can reduce the total data coming in for all 235 rows.  This will be vitally important if you expect the number 235 to grow at any point.

Children
  • I would tend to agree on limiting the number of rows displayed in the record list. However, this is a workaround to export and display a larger dataset from Appian so there isn't a specific record view being used. 

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to naomi0001

There's altering the max query size in the configuration files, which comes highly not recommended from Appian.  You'll see mention of it on your Appian Health Check urging you to reconsider every time you run it thereafter.

• But if when I export I get the full dataset anyway why would there be a limit on what is displayed?

• I don't think this issue has to do with the maximum query limit. In my experience, if you eclipse the maximum query limit, it shows an error instead of only showing a certain number of rows.

Can you describe what other steps you have tried to troubleshoot this? What happens if you only show one column? Does it still show only 42 rows? What is the batch size value set to in your record list? What happens if you try to query the data in an expression rule instead of through the record list? Do you have a default filter that would limit the data returned?

That being said, I agree with the previous poster that 40 columns is way too many for a record list (not even from a performance standpoint, but just from a usability standpoint). Is there a reason you need to support that much data? Could you instead use the showWhen parameter to only show certain columns to certain users? Or if the users need data for all 40 columns, could you perform the export in a process and send it via email to them when they need the exported data?

• I did recreate the record with 3 columns.  There is no default filter that has been set by me.  I did experiment with adding a default filter to force a larger dataset. I changed the paging to see if that was influencing the display.  We tried doing the export to excel in a process and the volume of data exceeded the capacity for the plugin. That's how we got to the record.   I think there must be some kind of environmental setting because the same record in a different environment shows 54 rows.  I do understand the logic of not having so many columns and the business has insisted this is needed.