Hello Team, We have upgraded one of our environment from 73 to 75 aft

Hello Team,

We have upgraded one of our environment from 73 to 75 after that we are seeing a big difference on process instances count. For ex. in 73 environment we has almost 40000 process instances but after upgrade I can see we only have 20000 instances. Is it an expected result after upgrade? I have not seen any difference in application,users and cdt's. Also I am not seeing any difference at the functionality level of applications.
Thanks...

OriginalPostID-116032

OriginalPostID-116032

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Based on the symptoms there's a big change you forgot to copy one of the pe*.kdb files for one or more of the EXECUTION engines from 7.3 to 7.5

Take a look at the following directories and see if the names of the files are around the same number (e.g. if one of the directories has pe200.kdb I would expect the other two directories to have files around that number or even the same number. If you see one directory only has small numbers such as pe7.kdb etc. then it means that is the engine you forgot to copy from 7.3)

<APPIAN_HOME>\\server\\process\\exec\\00\\gw1
    <APPIAN_HOME>\\server\\process\\exec\\01\\gw1
    <APPIAN_HOME>\\server\\process\\exec\\02\\gw1

Take a look at the following logs too. They should contain the word "migrating" if you copied the rigth pe*.kdb from 7.3 to 7.5

<APPIAN_HOME>\\logs\\db_PX*.log

Once you confirm that also make sure you followed the step "Delete the following directories in your new Appian installation. " from forum.appian.com/.../Migration_Guide and allowed enough time for the environment to complete rebuilding Analytics, the reporting engine.
  • I checked in our 73 kdb's and 75 too we don't have same number of highest kdb's in exection engines.
    For eg. if we have pe2930 in pe00 then we have pe2941 and 2955 in pe01,pe02 engines.
    Was not some of the process instances got archived as soons as we upgrade our environments from 73 to 75?
  • 1. Those numbers are fine for your 7.3 environment, they don't need to match but at least see how they are around the same number, so 7.3 is fine as expected

But how about the number sin 7.5? Are they all above pe29XX?

2. Review the logs to confirm all EXECs were migrated properly

3. Instances are only archived if they are candidates to be archived. So either there was a large number of candidates or somebody already launched a lot of processes on 7.3 after you copied the files to 7.5 which means that those instances were never brought to 7.5

4. Or you may still need to re-create analytics by stopping the environment completely and deleting <APPIAN_HOME>\\server\\process\\exec\\analytics\\xx\\gw1\\*.* for the three analytics and then restarting the environment
  • Thanks Ed,

It seems most of the process instances are set to be delete after 1 day.
  • If that's the case then it makes complete sense that the number is now lower. Thank you for checking.