I am installing Appian 7.10. Installation has been successfully validated and de

I am installing Appian 7.10. Installation has been successfully validated and deployed using configure script. But when I start JBoss, I get many errors. One of the errors in the application server logs is as follows. I have encoded the data source password to be used for JBoss configuration.

Also note that, search server and appian engines have started perfectly.

Caused by: java.lang.SecurityException: PBOX000016: Access denied: authentication failed
          at org.jboss.security.plugins.JBossSecuritySubjectFactory.createSubject(JBossSecuritySubjectFactory.java:84)
          at org.jboss.jca.core.connectionmanager.AbstractConnectionManager.getSubject(AbstractConnectionManager.java:735)
          at org.jboss.jca.core.connectionmanager.AbstractConnectionManager.allocateConnection(AbstractConnectionManager.java:509)
          at org.jboss.jca.adapters.jdbc.WrapperDataSource.getConnection(WrapperDataSource.java:143)
          at org.hibernate.connection.DatasourceConnectionPr...

application-server.log

OriginalPostID-172920

OriginalPostID-172920

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• ...ovider.getConnection(DatasourceConnectionProvider.java:92)
              at com.appiancorp.rdbms.hb.LoggingDatasourceConnectionProvider.getConnection(LoggingDatasourceConnectionProvider.java:28)
              at org.hibernate.cfg.SettingsFactory.buildSettings(SettingsFactory.java:113)
              at org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.buildSettingsInternal(Configuration.java:2836)
  • Looks like a password issue:

ccess denied: authentication failed
              at

either you have the wrong password, you encoded it incorrectly or you copied it partially from the encoded output
  • I checked again and password has been encoded properly and is inputted correctly into standalone.xml.

Attaching logs after starting Jboss

Jboss logs.txt

• The error is showing an authentication failure, there's no other cause for this error other than a password issue (wrong, expired, or invalid-characters)

Here's my suggestion

0. Review the output of the encoder. Usually the encoded password has a minus - sign at the beginning and I don't see that's in your appian-ds.xml. Double check you've copied everything from the encoded string including any signs such as -

1. Update appian-ds.xml to use plain-text password for testing purposes

Instead of

<security>
    <security-domain>ds-name-security-sqlserver</security-domain>
    <!-- <user-name>appian</user-name>
    <password>appian</password>-->
    </security>

Use

<security>
    <user-name>appian</user-name>
    <password>appian</password>
    </security>

2. If that works, we now the plain-text is fine and the issue is the encoded one

3. Encode the password again and double check is the same as in standalone.xml as explained in step #0

4. If it's the same then review the plain text password for any particular characters such as $ and change it in the database to be different so that it doesn't use the $. Use this new password (encode it again..etc) and see if that sign was the issue
  • Thanks, Eduardo. Putting a plain-text password resolves the error. But, I get another error while starting JBoss

JBoss Bootstrap Environment

JBOSS_HOME: "D:\\Appian\\JBOSS_HOME"

JAVA: "C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jdk1.8.0_60\\bin\\java"

JAVA_OPTS: "-verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCDateStamps -XX:+UseGCL
    ogFileRotation -XX:NumberOfGCLogFiles=5 -XX:GCLogFileSize=3M -XX:-TraceClassUnlo
    ading -XX:+UseCompressedOops -Dprogram.name=standalone.bat -Xms2048m -Xmx4096m -
    XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -Dsun.rmi.dgc.client.gcInterval=3600000 -Dsun.rmi
    .dgc.server.gcInterval=3600000 -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -XX:+UseConcMarkSwe
    epGC -Dorg.apache.catalina.connector.URI_ENCODING=UTF-8 -Duser.timezone=GMT -Dja
    va.awt.headless=true -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -serv
    er -Dappian.home.ear=D:\\Appian\\APPIAN_HOME\\ear -Djboss.as.management.blocking.ti
    meout=3600 -Dorg.jboss.resolver.warning=true -Djboss.server.default.config=stand
    alone.xml"

===============================================================================

06:15:45,216 INFO [org.jboss.modules] (main) JBoss Modules version 1.3.6.Final-
    redhat-1
    06:15:45,640 INFO [org.jboss.msc] (main) JBoss MSC version 1.1.5.Final-redhat-1

06:15:45,872 INFO [org.jboss.as] (MSC service thread 1-6) JBAS015899: JBoss EAP
    6.4.0.GA (AS 7.5.0.Final-redhat-21) starting
    06:15:48,656 WARN [org.jboss.messaging] (ServerService Thread Pool -- 22) JBAS0
    11618: There is no resource matching the expiry-address jms.queue.ExpiryQueue fo
    r the address-settings #, expired messages from destinations matching this addre
    ss-setting will be lost!
    06:15:48,694 WARN [org.jboss.messaging] (ServerService Thread Pool -- 22) JBAS0
    11619: There is no resource matching the dead-letter-address jms.queue.DLQ for t
    he address-settings #, undelivered messages from destinations matching this addr
    ess-setting will be lost!
    06:15:51,098 ERROR [org.jboss.as.controller.management-operation] (ServerService
    Thread Pool -- 11) JBAS014612: Operation ("add") failed - address: ([("deployme
    nt" => "appian-mysql-ds.xml")]) - failure description: "JBAS014803: Duplicate re
    source [(\\"deployment\\" => \\"appian-mysql-ds.xml\\")]"
    06:15:51,102 ERROR [org.jboss.as.controller.management-operation] (Controller Bo
    ot Thread) "JBAS014784: Failed executing subsystem deployment-scanner boot opera
    tions"
    06:15:51,105 ERROR [org.jboss.as.controller.management-operation] (Controller Bo
    ot Thread) JBAS014612: Operation ("parallel-subsystem-boot") failed - address: (
    []) - failure description: "\\"JBAS014784: Failed executing subsystem deployment-
    scanner boot operations\\""
    06:15:51,121 FATAL [org.jboss.as.server] (Controller Boot Thread) JBAS015957: Se
    rver boot has failed in an unrecoverable manner; exiting. See previous messages
    for details.
    06:15:51,143 INFO [org.jboss.as] (MSC service thread 1-3) JBAS015950: JBoss EAP
    6.4.0.GA (AS 7.5.0.Final-redhat-21) stopped in 15ms
    D:\\Appian\\JBOSS_HOME\\bin>

• Delete all files except for appian-mysql-ds.xml from <JBOSS_HOME>\\standalone\\deployments\\

Any back-up file has to be removed too. It seems you have more than one XML there.
  • Thanks, Eduardo for your help.
    After the start of the environment, I am unable to open admin console saying that access is forbidden even though I am logged in as Administrator.
    Also, interface designer does not show any icons and does not let do anything.

• The Administrator account doesn't have access to the Admin Console. You need to create another user that is a System Administrator.

Make sure to adjust SERVER_AND_PORT in custom.properties too
  • And finally, review Matt's comment at forum.appian.com/.../f-139178 about web.xml if using HTTP