Send Email smart service

Hello, I am having an issue with the Send Email smart service, it doesn't work in any process and the resulting alert is this:
"There is a problem with task “Send E-Mail” in the process “sendEmail”. Failed to send email
Problem: An error occurred in executing an Activity Class.
Recommended Action: Examine the activity class to correct the error and then resume."
Our Appian server for training purpose is configured to send mail with a gmail smtp account on port 587.
Could it be on this configuration the problem? Which test can I do?
Thanks in advance

OriginalPostID-237501

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer
    Just a general suggestion: when the error message in an Alert isn't detailed enough (as seems to be the case here), you can often find more detail behind the error message in the Appian server logs instead.
  • Hi Mike, I'm currently experiencing the same error as Gabriel described in his earlier post above, but in some instances the emails send fine and in others we get this alert and the process stops at the email node. We get this error on a regular basis but cannot determine the exact cause -- we've verified that all the emails are valid and there are no issues with the process model.

I'm having our engineer check the server logs but is there anything else you would recommend for possible troubleshooting if he cannot find anything in the logs? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Sarah K.
    I've never had that happen before in any of my environments - any email failure i've had has been able to be traced down to a problem in the process model (or something related, like invalid address, message content, etc). I haven't seen intermittent failure like that.

Question: if you send the same email over and over, with the exact same inputs (and maybe just by re-triggering the node within the same process instance), will it ever act differently? Or are the failures in different instances from the successes? I ask this because if you can demonstrate that the email sending sometimes fails and sometimes works with the *exact* same inputs, you might have cause to escalate to Appian support.
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Sarah K.
    Hi Sarah,
    In the 'to' parameter of your 'send email' smart service try this:
    toemailrecipient(toemailaddress(pv!emailid))
Reply Children