The Appian 17.1 Installation failed - quite a few questions on the Quick Installation Guide

Dear Appian community,

I just installed Appian latest verison (17.1) on my Windows laptop and installed Appian (including JBoss, MySQL) and started Appian and JBoss server.

There are multiple issues with the install, and I have installed it multiple times (like 5 times) on the two Windows 7 laptops.
1. I am following the Windows Quick Start guide as part of the 17.1 Appian installation guide.
docs.appian.com/.../Quick_Start_Installation_Guide_for_Windows_and_JBoss.html

In the document:
>>Create an Initial System Administrator Account
>> In order to create Appian users in the Administration Console, you will need to create a system administrator account at start-up.

>>In the <REPO_HOME>\\ear\\suite.ear\\conf directory, make a copy of passwords.properties.example and rename it to passwords.properties...

OriginalPostID-270111

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• .... Specify the
    >>following properties to :

This can not be right as there is only a passwords.properties.dev (or passwords.properties.<environment name> in the directory.
    Also what is this user name, it looks like it needs to be a Windows account name, or it is just an Appian users name ?

2. After the initial deployment, I could not login, so I went back to Configure.bat and did the Verfication, and Deployment to both JBoss and Appian, now I can not even start JBoss. Got /Suite.ear deployment failed and Duplicate resource errors in JBoss log.

Have anyone actually successfully deployed Appian 17.1 on a Windows environment using the Quick Start guide ? If so, please advise ! Thank you.

Sam

• For the password.properties issue, you can create any user account that you'd like as long as it adheres to Appian's requirements for creating a user. This is a bootstrap user which is user to access the admin console once installed. You should be modifying the password.properties.<env> file when doing this (env being whatever name you gave when you registered the repo).

Can you attach your jboss log to see what other issues may be present?
  • Hi, Jonathan,

Yes that was what I did with the password.properties.dev file.

I am attaching the JBoss log file here.

server.log

• I am also including some error message here (from the JBoss log file) as text:
    01:22:30,616 INFO [org.jboss.web] (ServerService Thread Pool -- 111) JBAS018210: Register web context: /suite
    01:22:53,997 INFO [stdout] (ServerService Thread Pool -- 111) 2017-03-15 01:22:53,990 [ServerService Thread Pool -- 111] FATAL com.appiancorp.common.web.StartupHaltingServletContextListener - Halting JVM startup: org.springframework.beans.factory.UnsatisfiedDependencyException: Error creating bean with name 'localeConfig' defined in com.appiancorp.common.spring.BootstrapSpringConfig: Unsatisfied dependency expressed through constructor argument with index 0 of type [com.appiancorp.process.security.InitializeAdministrator]: : Error creating bean with name 'initializeAdministrator' defined in com.appiancorp.common.spring.BootstrapSpringConfig: Bean instantiation via factory method failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: Failed to instantiate [com.appiancorp.process.security.InitializeAdministrator]: Factory method 'initializeAdministrator' threw exception; nested exception is com.appiancorp.kougar.driver.exceptions.SafeRetryException: Unable to acquire a Read connection. Safe to retry.; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'initializeAdministrator' defined in com.appiancorp.common.spring.BootstrapSpringConfig: Bean instantiation via factory method failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: Failed to instantiate [com.appiancorp.process.security.InitializeAdministrator]: Factory method 'initializeAdministrator' threw exception; nested exception is com.appiancorp.kougar.driver.exceptions.SafeRetryException: Unable to acquire a Read connection. Safe to retry.

01:22:54,030 INFO [stdout] (ServerService Thread Pool -- 111) com.appiancorp.suiteapi.common.exceptions.AppianException: org.springframework.beans.factory.UnsatisfiedDependencyException: Error creating bean with name 'localeConfig' defined in com.appiancorp.common.spring.BootstrapSpringConfig: Unsatisfied dependency expressed through constructor argument with index 0 of type [com.appiancorp.process.security.InitializeAdministrator]: : Error creating bean with name 'initializeAdministrator' defined in com.appiancorp.common.spring.BootstrapSpringConfig: Bean instantiation via factory method failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: Failed to instantiate [com.appiancorp.process.security.InitializeAdministrator]: Factory method 'initializeAdministrator' threw exception; nested exception is com.appiancorp.kougar.driver.exceptions.SafeRetryException: Unable to acquire a Read connection. Safe to retry.; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'initializeAdministrator' defined in com.appiancorp.common.spring.BootstrapSpringConfig: Bean instantiation via factory method failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: Failed to instantiate [com.appiancorp.process.security.InitializeAdministrator]: Factory method 'initializeAdministrator' threw exception; nested exception is com.appiancorp.kougar.driver.exceptions.SafeRetryException: Unable to acquire a Read connection. Safe to retry.

01:22:54,067 INFO [stdout] (ServerService Thread Pool -- 111)           at com.appiancorp.common.BootstrapSpringContextLoaderListener.createBootstrapContext(BootstrapSpringContextLoaderListener.java:116)

01:22:54,071 INFO [stdout] (ServerService Thread Pool -- 111)           at com.appiancorp.common.BootstrapSpringContextLoaderListener.lambda$doContextInitialized$2(BootstrapSpringContextLoaderListener.java:103)

01:22:54,076 INFO [stdout] (ServerService Thread Pool -- 111)           at com.appiancorp.security.changelog.AuditLogLocationService.callWithLocation(AuditLogLocationService.java:23)

01:22:54,080 INFO [stdout] (ServerService Thread Pool -- 111)
  • This error appears to be related to the engines. When I searched for com.appiancorp.process.security.InitializeAdministrator I found a couple of Forum posts related to engine issues:

forum.appian.com/.../e-233772
    forum.appian.com/.../e-166781

Can you verify that the engines are running by using the checkengine script in server/scripts/diagnostics?
  • 1. The engine is running (Java windows shows: 2017-03-14 18:41:22,588 Engine monitor started on host E6430)

2. The diagnostic script returns this:
    C:\\appian\\server\\_scripts\\diagnostic>checkengine
    k3.lic

C:\\appian\\server\\_scripts\\diagnostic>
  • k3.lic outputs when there's a license issue. Please refer to the following KB article: forum.appian.com/.../kb-1033.html
  • I read this KB and it looks like it may be license related, so I have requested a new temp license.
    docs.appian.com/.../kb-1033.html

• Thanks @Jonathan Katora - I requested new temp license. Will post update once it is available.
  • Good morning,

I have applied the new temp license (and also requested a permanent license ) and applied it this morning. Now Appian and JBoss starts and I am able to logon, change the initial password. And I can also see the appian_primary database tables created. Thank you all for your help. I will continue to work on this environment and provide updates.

Best Regards,

Sam