What is the best practice for configuring process instance archival ?

Hi All,

I would like to know what is the best practice for configuring process instance archival recommended by Appian .

Since the default archival setting is 7 days which can be changed by the system administrator, is it solely dependent on the requirements that whether we can keep the process instance for 3 to 7 days or there is a specific best practice of archiving with X days that can be followed during development.

Thanks in Advance!

Akhila

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

The default is to Archive after 7 days.  In most instances, this will be perfectly fine.  For many projects I don't think the settings would ever have to be touched once unless there was a problem.

If you are noticing your RAM steadily increasing, one of the things that can quickly alleviate the problem is to Archive or Delete sooner.  You can look at Health Check results which will tell you which processes are taking up the most RAM.  You can try optimizing the worst offenders of process instance size to be much smaller, but if they're already quite small and there's just a huge number of them, you can try archiving them sooner.  The cost for archiving sooner is your O&M team's ability to triage incidents.  The benefit is more RAM.  For things you really don't need and won't ever look at, you can set them to archive or delete after 0 days.  They will go away in seconds.

If you create process backed records or reports, those are only going to report on processes that have not archived.  If you are using this to do something like last month's sales, you'd need to keep sales processes generating that report from archiving for 30 days.  That's about the only reasonable use case I can think of for setting the archival time for greater than 7 days.

Archived processes take up HD storage on your server.  If you really don't need it, you can Delete it instead.  However, HD is very cheap and you never know when you'll need an archived process for auditing and incident resolution.  I would avoid Deletion if at all possible.  Even the most seemingly innocuous things could come up in an audit or an investigation.  And it could take years to fill up your HD, so not a huge problem, but a potentially huge cost to solve it.

Certified Lead Developer

The default is to Archive after 7 days.  In most instances, this will be perfectly fine.  For many projects I don't think the settings would ever have to be touched once unless there was a problem.

If you are noticing your RAM steadily increasing, one of the things that can quickly alleviate the problem is to Archive or Delete sooner.  You can look at Health Check results which will tell you which processes are taking up the most RAM.  You can try optimizing the worst offenders of process instance size to be much smaller, but if they're already quite small and there's just a huge number of them, you can try archiving them sooner.  The cost for archiving sooner is your O&M team's ability to triage incidents.  The benefit is more RAM.  For things you really don't need and won't ever look at, you can set them to archive or delete after 0 days.  They will go away in seconds.

If you create process backed records or reports, those are only going to report on processes that have not archived.  If you are using this to do something like last month's sales, you'd need to keep sales processes generating that report from archiving for 30 days.  That's about the only reasonable use case I can think of for setting the archival time for greater than 7 days.

Archived processes take up HD storage on your server.  If you really don't need it, you can Delete it instead.  However, HD is very cheap and you never know when you'll need an archived process for auditing and incident resolution.  I would avoid Deletion if at all possible.  Even the most seemingly innocuous things could come up in an audit or an investigation.  And it could take years to fill up your HD, so not a huge problem, but a potentially huge cost to solve it.

Children
No Data