Should you upgrade lower or higher environment first and why

Certified Senior Developer

Hi All,

I came across a question where the environment should get upgraded to latest version. Should we start upgrading the higher environments first and go down to lower environment upgrade or vice-versa, and what will be the impact in both cases. Can someone help in knowing this impact?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Certified Lead Developer

My clients usually have 4 environments.

Typical flow is Test -> Staging -> Production -> Development

We usually run test regressions for a couple of days in the test environment. Once that is done we do Staging and Production in very short order. Finally we update development last.

Another possible flow is to do Dev & Test together. That leaves you with Staging and Production on a lower version to deploy hotfixes. Any hotfixes done while waiting for the upgrade can be retrofitted back in dev. Once your regressions are done, you can upgrade Staging and Production close together.

The advantage of the 2nd approach is that the compare and deploy will not break between dev & test while you're waiting on the upgrade.

Really depends on your priorities.

• Certified Lead Developer

My clients usually have 4 environments.

Typical flow is Test -> Staging -> Production -> Development

We usually run test regressions for a couple of days in the test environment. Once that is done we do Staging and Production in very short order. Finally we update development last.

Another possible flow is to do Dev & Test together. That leaves you with Staging and Production on a lower version to deploy hotfixes. Any hotfixes done while waiting for the upgrade can be retrofitted back in dev. Once your regressions are done, you can upgrade Staging and Production close together.

The advantage of the 2nd approach is that the compare and deploy will not break between dev & test while you're waiting on the upgrade.

Really depends on your priorities.

Children
No Data