How to display a list that matches the list?

Hello everyone,

I am having trouble what function to use.

What I am trying to achieve is I have a file name that says NEW_210917. I also have a list NEW_TXT_210917, RNW_TXT_TXT_210917, RPL_TXT_210917 and NEW_TXT_TXT_210917.

Regardless of the file names on the list. I need to return the list that has NEW and 210917 on their names.

So based on the given above. My result should be NEW_TXT_210917 and NEW_TXT_TXT_210917.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Hi,

Using a regular expression would be a good way to accomplish this, like in the following snippet: 

a!localVariables(
      local!test: {
        "NEW_TXT_210917",
        "RNW_TXT_TXT_210917",
        "RPL_TXT_210917",
        "NEW_TXT_TXT_210917"
      },
      a!forEach(
        items: local!test,
        expression: if(
          regexmatch("(NEW)(.*)(210917)", fv!item),
          fv!item,
          {}
        )
      )
    )

I am guessing that probably you don't want to search specifically for "210917", but instead for a given date, and you could also search for the remaining text in a case sensitive way, but you can modify the regular expression string in order to accomplish that if needed.

This would require the Regular Expressions functions plugin: community.appian.com/.../regular-expression-functions

• Wow this actually works. Although, I tried some tweeks because I need "NEW" to be flexible because there are file names such as RNW_210917. But this should be good.

a!localVariables(
      local!fileName: left(ri!fileName, 3),
      local!filesInSftp: ri!filesSftp,
      local!filesToDump: a!forEach(
        items: local!filesInSftp,
        expression: if(
          regexmatch(concat(local!fileName,"(.*)",datetext(today(), "YYMMdd")), fv!item),
         fv!item,
         {}
        )
      ),
      local!filesToDump
    )

One more question, will the pattern ("(NEW)(.*)(210917)", fv!item) still applies in case that I will have a file name such as NEW_TXT_200917_TXT_TXT or NEW_210917? Thank you.

Appian Employee
    in reply to Sarah B.

Hi Sarah,

Yes, it would, because if you 'decompose' the regular expression:

(NEW) - we are looking for this particular bit (all uppercase) to happen 1 time in the text

(.*) - then any character, happening 0 or more times

(210917) - then this particular sequence, happening 1 time

Since these conditions are verified in both the cases you provided (providing you fix the date in the first case to be 21 instead of 20), it would work. 

I highly recommend this website to test your regular expressions and learn more about them - https://regexr.com/