I am trying to create a list view for a record that allows me to use the search

I am trying to create a list view for a record that allows me to use the search functionality to search for a specific date. I am currently using concat(rf!title, if(false,concat(rf!otherDatapoints,rf!otherDatapoints2),"") to allow the search function to search for variables that are not displayed in the title. Even with the date in the title, I cannot search for it. No matter how I try to manipulate the date variable(change to string, split by "/" and turn to string) coming into the list view via entity, I am still unable to search for the date. The search functionality works for every other field I am bringing in via entity, but the only one Appian cannot find is the date. Is there anyway to to enable search by date for a list view or a way to manipulate the date to allow the variable to be searched on?

OriginalPostID-151425

OriginalPostID-151425

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Unfortunately only the rf fields of type Text and Integer that are used in the title value are searched. Also if you have any expression like you have above, it won't help either.
  • @brianc To the best of my knowledge, your question can be answered in two parts:

1. Section 'Notes' under 'Record List' at https://forum.appian.com/suite/help/7.9/Record_Design.html says "When users search for records, only the rf fields of type Text and Integer that are used in the title value are searched. Avoid using fields of any other type in the title field because users may try to search on their values, but the expected records won't return in the search results."

2. If you format the contents of the field coming from entity, still it can't be used in the search criteria because only the fields are searchable in the search criteria but not the values which are modified while surfacing. Infact the formatted content should be a part of the columns in the source entity in order to use the same in the search criteria.
  • Thank you both for the quick response answers. It is clear that it is not possible to search on dates in a record list view.
    Certified Lead Developer
    It's possible to do this but it's a bit long-winded.

Create a view that contains a column that formats the dates as text but that otherwise matches the entity you currently use for the record list view, then build a CDT and data entity against that view that matches the entity you're currently using for the record and has the text-formatted date mapped as a text field.

Next, change the list view to use the new entity that is mapped to the view, and use the if(false... workaround you mention to add the date as a searchable text field. This way, if the view formats the date as 04/06/2015 then a search for "04/06" should be returned in the results.

You could do this with multiple columns (within reason and making sure you consider performance) that format the date in different ways - say day, month name, year and so on and then use the concat() workaround to make those aspects searchable.

Making such a view is also a good opportunity to return only the minimum of data required for searching and displaying within the record list view; remove any unnecessary columns and you may see a small performance increase as less data is returned when rendering the list view.
  • I created a special text field in the CDT just for search and a custom rule concatenates all necessary fields as comma separated string together. This together with the if() trick allows the user to search many fields in the CDT.