On-Premise to Cloud Migration

Has anyone performed application migration from an Appian On-prem solution to Appian Cloud Platform if yes any pointer to document could be helpful

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Ankur V

I've consulted on with customers this before (including a cameo with the CME guys on the video Sanjay posted )
    Anyway, it really depends, but your best bet is to treat the cloud as if it were a vanilla Appian Installation with only cloud-approved plugins.
    Every customer is different in terms of their network topology, security requirements, data retention requirements, so it's hard to put together a single process document.

Also, consider any web-services that the system may need to interact with. I've seen these have issues with VPNs or SSL certificates too. 
    Feel free to ping me directly if you need other assistance.

Children
  • Thanks we are working with a customer who is looking to move to cloud but they want 2 separate instance where one instance will be a hybrid approach where the Database is on-prem connected via VPN connection and the other instance will be all cloud ( this includes Database). As from Appian cloud FAQ it seems migrating database from on-prem or other site is not supported or atleast there is no import function. I hope this is not the case as we have about 10GB of data to be moved if all cloud approach needs to be implemented.

• Could you enlighten on how the migration is being carried out. What files do we need to backup or give to appian to migrate to the cloud. The url's is not what i am more concerned but the database is something i am more looking to find answers to as to how is the migration done. There will be a lot of mappings that need to be redone does appian help on this if yes then upto what level of migration responsibility is of appian?
  • Hi Ankur,

To begin discussions regarding migrating an existing Appian instance to Appian Cloud, please contact Appian Support as well as the customer organization's Appian Account Executive. The exact specifics of the process will vary depending on the current on-premise configuration and we cannot provide a concrete set of steps without reviewing some data from the environment, including used plugins, topology, etc.

As far as business data is concerned, you would typically leverage VPN to connect to the business database from the Appian Cloud instance.

Best,
    Jussi