On-Premise to Cloud Migration

Has anyone performed application migration from an Appian On-prem solution to Appian Cloud Platform if yes any pointer to document could be helpful

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Thanks but that doesn't tell or show migration steps or strategies to move applications from on prem appian platform to cloud.
  • The migration process isn't too different from migrating to another on-prem environment, with the caveat that the code needs to be adapted some. For example, if you're relying on customizations, that'll need to go away. Any plugins that aren't approved for the cloud, they need to be replaced with cloud-approved plugins. Etc.

Next, you need to make sure your code works with the latest Appian version. Hopefully your on-prem environment is up to date, but if you're on an older version, it would be good to test in an updated environment.

You'll also need to think about network resources you need to access. Do you need to connect to an on-prem database or LDAP server? You'll need to work with Appian Support to have a VPN set up to get to those.

I think those are the major things to consider in addition to a "normal" environment migration. You'll need to deal with different URLs, etc., but that's no different than if you went from one on-prem environment to another.
  • What level of customizations needs to go away? Will the appian cloud platform allow some level of customization? Yes we are planning to have our DB on-prem and have a VPN setup. Do you happen to have documents or process to migrate applications to another on-prem environment?
  • I would suggest you go through this FAQ: docs.appian.com/.../Appian_Cloud_FAQ.html to get a better understanding of what's available on Appian Cloud. Any documentation about environment migration will be dependent on the applications and connections you have. Things like database connections, authentication, plugins, users, Appian applications, firewall configurations, VPNs, etc. are all specific to your own environments.
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Ankur V

I've consulted on with customers this before (including a cameo with the CME guys on the video Sanjay posted )
    Anyway, it really depends, but your best bet is to treat the cloud as if it were a vanilla Appian Installation with only cloud-approved plugins.
    Every customer is different in terms of their network topology, security requirements, data retention requirements, so it's hard to put together a single process document.

Also, consider any web-services that the system may need to interact with. I've seen these have issues with VPNs or SSL certificates too. 
    Feel free to ping me directly if you need other assistance.

• Thanks we are working with a customer who is looking to move to cloud but they want 2 separate instance where one instance will be a hybrid approach where the Database is on-prem connected via VPN connection and the other instance will be all cloud ( this includes Database). As from Appian cloud FAQ it seems migrating database from on-prem or other site is not supported or atleast there is no import function. I hope this is not the case as we have about 10GB of data to be moved if all cloud approach needs to be implemented.
  • Thanks we are working with a customer who is looking to move to cloud but they want 2 separate instance where one instance will be a hybrid approach where the Database is on-prem connected via VPN connection and the other instance will be all cloud ( this includes Database). As from Appian cloud FAQ it seems migrating database from on-prem or other site is not supported or atleast there is no import function. I hope this is not the case as we have about 10GB of data to be moved if all cloud approach needs to be implemented.
Children
No Data