New installation, JBOSS not working, Fatal error

Hi, 

I am a bit new to Appian and trying to setup a local instance for learning purpose.

I have installed 18.1 and relevant hotfix too.

I am using JBOSS EAP 6.4. All the services/data server / Search server are starting as expecetd but not the Jboss server.

below are a part of the error log. Can anybody please help me understand what went wrong here?

PS: 1. I followed Qucik start guide 18.1 with MySQL/Jboss to set it up.
       2. I know one or two things about XML but nothing about JAVA/Jscript.

07:46:38,036 DEBUG [org.jboss.as.config] (MSC service thread 1-7) VM Arguments: -Djava.vendor=New Oracle -Xloggc:C:\appian\bin\jboss\jboss-eap-6.4\standalone\log\gc.log -verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCDateStamps -XX:+UseGCLogFileRotation -XX:NumberOfGCLogFiles=5 -XX:GCLogFileSize=3M -XX:-TraceClassUnloading -XX:+UseCompressedOops -Dprogram.name=standalone.bat -Xms2048m -Xmx4096m -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -Dsun.rmi.dgc.client.gcInterval=3600000 -Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=3600000 -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -Dorg.apache.catalina.connector.URI_ENCODING=UTF-8 -Duser.timezone=GMT -Djava.awt.headless=true -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dappian.home.ear=C:\appian\ear -Djboss.as.management.blocking.timeout=3600 -Dorg.jboss.resolver.warning=true -Djboss.server.default.config=standalone.xml -Dorg.jboss.boot.log.file=C:\appian\bin\jboss\jboss-eap-6.4\standalone\log\server.log -Dlogging.configuration=file:C:\appian\bin\jboss\jboss-eap-6.4\standalone\configuration/logging.properties

07:46:43,688 WARN [org.jboss.messaging] (ServerService Thread Pool -- 22) JBAS011618: There is no resource matching the expiry-address jms.queue.ExpiryQueue for the address-settings #, expired messages from destinations matching this address-setting will be lost!

07:46:43,703 WARN [org.jboss.messaging] (ServerService Thread Pool -- 22) JBAS011619: There is no resource matching the dead-letter-address jms.queue.DLQ for the address-settings #, undelivered messages from destinations matching this address-setting will be lost!

07:47:24,356 ERROR [org.jboss.as.controller.management-operation] (ServerService Thread Pool -- 11) JBAS014612: Operation ("add") failed - address: ([("deployment" => "suite.ear")]) - failure description: "JBAS014803: Duplicate resource [(\"deployment\" => \"suite.ear\")]"

07:47:24,356 ERROR [org.jboss.as.controller.management-operation] (Controller Boot Thread) "JBAS014784: Failed executing subsystem deployment-scanner boot operations"

07:47:24,356 ERROR [org.jboss.as.controller.management-operation] (Controller Boot Thread) JBAS014612: Operation ("parallel-subsystem-boot") failed - address: ([]) - failure description: "\"JBAS014784: Failed executing subsystem deployment-scanner boot operations\""

07:47:24,372 FATAL [org.jboss.as.server] (Controller Boot Thread) JBAS015957: Server boot has failed in an unrecoverable manner; exiting. See previous messages for details.

07:47:24,434 INFO [org.jboss.as] (MSC service thread 1-2) JBAS015950: JBoss EAP 6.4.0.GA (AS 7.5.0.Final-redhat-21) stopped in 54ms

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Certified Senior Developer
    Hi Praveen ,

I believe the problem with appian-mysql-ds.xml(<JBOSS_HOME>-->standalone-->deployements--> appian-mysql-ds.xml) can you check
    the schemas (prymary&secondary ) weather u properly configured or not.which exact match with custome.properties(<APPIAN-
    HOME>suite.ear-->conf-->custome.properties).

Example:
    ######################
    #### Data Sources ####
    ######################

## Appian must have a dedicated data source. Set the value to the JNDI name of
    ## the data source that will be used as the Appian data source.
    ## Note: This data source must point to a separate tablespace than any listed
    ## in the conf.data.datasources configuration.
    conf.data.APPIAN_DATA_SOURCE=jdbc/primarydatabase
    ## Comma-separated list of JNDI names of data sources on the application server
    ## that will be used to store business data. This list is used by the Query
    ## Database smart service and Data Stores.
    conf.data.datasources=jdbc/secondarydatabase.

And Please check the permissions on the folder. The user that is running Appian on the server should have full read, write, and execute permissions for <APPIAN_HOME> and all subfolders and files. After you've checked that, with the application server stopped, please do the following:

0)check cookies are deleted or not

This could be one of the reason for the issue as you are logging in for the first time , try to delete the below lines under the file "<Appian_HOME>/ear/suite.ear/web.war/WEB-INF/web.xml" and then try again with the same credentails
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    <cookie-config>
    <http-only>true</http-only>
    <secure>true</secure>
    </cookie-config>
    <tracking-mode>COOKIE</tracking-mode>

1) In <APPIAN_HOME>/ear if the marker files reads "suite.ear.undeployed" or suite.ear.failed", please rename is to "suite.ear.dodeploy".
    2) Manually clear the osgi cache by deleting the contents of D:\\Appy711Trng\\ear\\suite.ear\\web.war\\WEB-INF\\osgi-cache .(community.appian.com/.../kb-1124-osgi-related-errors-cause-jboss-deployment-to-fail)
    3) Start the application server

Thanks
  • Hi Prakash,

1. I didn't mention the secondary database, though I have primary data source as jdbc/AppianDS ( created schema as Appian_schema, Connection name as AppianPrimary in MySQL workbench) as mentioned in the quick start guide.

2. Already removed the cookie config part.

3. Changed the file extension.

4. Couldn't find OSGI-cache file anywhere. repository or Appian_Home ?

still facing the same issue.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Praveen Nenawa
    Hi Praveen,

Thanks for sharing the screenshots. From your screenshots, we can see the module.xml and the driver are available in the repository. Please make sure that same is available in <JBOSS_HOME>\modules\com\mysql\jdbc\main

Here is the related posts which might be helpful:
    community.appian.com/.../this-is-not-a-question-but-trying-to-share-my-experiences-for-anyone-else-having
    forum.appian.com/.../e-151290
    Hi Praveen ,

I think you need a file called module.xml inside <JBOSS_HOME>\modules\oracle\jdbc\main\ as well as the driver you specified inside that
    module.xml. And Check to make sure the .dodeploy file is in the standalone/deployments folder for the ds.xml, it may have been
    changed to .deploying during a previously failed startup attempt.

Thanks
  • Hi Vikram / Prakash,

I have gone through the links shared by you / solutions proposed. but having the same issue. 
    Every time I rename the suite.ear.XXXXXXX and appian-ds-mysql.xml.xxxxxxx file from failed to dodeploy and as soon as I restart Jboss,

the extensions changes automatically.

I am struggling with this since couple of days. Any help would be highly appreciated. 

1. Both Module.xml and J-connector present in the <JBOSS_HOME>\modules\com\mysql\jdbc\main folder.

2. in <Appian_home>\ear, nothing except suite.ear and suite.ear.dodeploy.

3. standalone.xml.local (local is my environment) have only one entry for deployment scanner for Appian.home.ear and Jboss-domain.......

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Praveen Nenawa

Hi Praveen,

Have you tried the below steps:
    1. Stop Application Server
    2. Delete the file appian-ds-mysql.xml.xxxxxxx. As it should recreate automatically.
    3. Rename suite.ear.XXXXXXX to suite.ear.dodeploy
    4. Start Application Server
    5. Check the logs whether we are getting the same error or a new one? Also, please attach the log file after following the above steps

Hope you have already checked the System Requirements for 18.1

• Hi Vimal,

Sorry I got your name wrong in my last reply.

attached is the log file from <JBOSS_HOME>\standalone\log.

the first error occurrence this time seems to be something related to Logger services (log4j).

Thank you very much for your help.

7127.server.log

Hi Praveen ,

can you check once in your appian-mysql-ds.xml.
    Jndi-name and xa-datasource-property name should be same..but in your scenario you gave appianPrimary insted.

jndi-name="jdbc/AppianDS"
    pool-name="MySqlDS"
    enabled="true"
    use-java-context="false">
    <xa-datasource-property name="URL">jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/AppianDS?useOldAliasMetadataBehavior=true</xa-datasource-property>

Thanks
  • I have configured Appian similar to Praveen. I am getting the same issue that Praveen was facing.

Even after changing the xa-datasource-property name , it did not help much .

• "{
    \"JBAS014771: Services with missing/unavailable dependencies\" => [\"jboss.data-source.jdbc/AppianDS is missing [jboss.jdbc-driver.com_mysql_jdbc]\"],
    \"JBAS014879: One or more services were unable to start due to one or more indirect dependencies not being available.\" => {
    \"Services that were unable to start:\" => [
    \"jboss.data-source.reference-factory.jdbc/AppianDS\",
    \"jboss.naming.context.java.jdbc.AppianDS\"
    ],
    \"Services that may be the cause:\" => [
    \"jboss.deployment.subunit.\\\"suite.ear\\\".\\\"email-handler.jar\\\".deploymentCompleteService\",
    \"jboss.deployment.subunit.\\\"suite.ear\\\".\\\"jms-process-integration-handler.jar\\\".deploymentCompleteService\",
    \"jboss.deployment.subunit.\\\"suite.ear\\\".\\\"unattended-request-handler.jar\\\".deploymentCompleteService\",
    \"jboss.jdbc-driver.com_mysql_jdbc\",
    \"jboss.naming.context.java.comp.suite.email-handler.EmailHandlerBean\",
    \"jboss.naming.context.java.comp.suite.jms-process-integration-handler.JmsProcessIntegrationHandlerBean\",
    \"jboss.naming.context.java.comp.suite.unattended-request-handler.UnattendedRequestHandlerBean\"
    ]
    }
    }"