Is! Appian available to download on Mac OS..? if not why.........

Appian Software is still not available to download on MAC OS X..
are they all planning to release a Platform Independent versions ..why aren't they still releasing such .. what about the MAC Users.... Thread it

Thanks & Regards
JB

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Well that’s an interesting question, jboss and WebLogic run on Mac, DB’ s (MySQL, KdB) run on Mac, java runs as well.

Let me share some thoughts about this.

Think about this as a final user even as a developer Mac is supported. Now the only role not supported is de administrator and maybe the developer. Another thing I could consider is that Appian is well known to have lot of instances on the cloud.

For Appian to support MacOs they will have to run a huge set of test scenarios. If it is worth I am sure Appian they will do.

Something I don’t know how many companies uses OSX as the OS to host applications servers.

At the end it sounds like you are sys admin which uses Mac then I am sure you will be able to create a virtual machine to install Appian on Linux.

This is what I think, but I still curious To know what actually Appian respond to this question, so if you open a ticket to ask the same please share the answer.
    Or you can make the suggestion or requirement depending how you need it.

Jose
    Appian Employee
    in reply to josep

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Supporting an additional platform means additional testing overhead and other associated costs, while the demand for MacOS on the server side is very low. Most reports I've seen have MacOS comprising less than 1% of the enterprise server market. Because Apple doesn't target the enterprise market or make a server-specific OS variant, most analysis looks like this: community.spiceworks.com/.../2462-server-virtualization-and-os-trends , with MacOS not even warranting a mention by name.

Having said all of that, I'm happy to say that Appian actually CAN be run on MacOS, thanks to Docker! In fact, Mac + Docker is actually one of the more common installation setups that our engineers have in-house for local development. You can find more information here: docs.appian.com/.../Installing_Appian_in_Docker_Containers.html

• Thanks a lot Elliot!! haven’t tried docker installation but now you gave me a good reason.

Thanks Jagadeesh for asking the questions!!

José
  • Actually the documentation has this
    “MacOS (experimental, running Appian on MacOS is only possible when using Docker containers)”

Great!!
Reply Children