Cucumber For Appian: Set test variable with the output of a step definition

Hello All,

I am a beginner with Cucumber for Appian. I am wondering whether cucumber for appian supports assignment of output of a step definition to a variable. I can see "Given set test variable "VAR" with "VALUE" in the cheat sheet which in turn will expect a value to be assigned at the time of declaration itself.

I believe this is possible in Fitnesse for Appian using the below:

|$VAR= |get grid|[2]|column|[2]|row|[1]|value|

I am looking for similar function in Cucumber for Appian something like:

Given I set test variable "VAR" with | When I get grid "[1]" column "[2]" row "[2]" value |

Thanks in Advance.

Santhosh R.R.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • With the current step definition code, this is not possible. you would have to extend Appian's glue code into your own to get a solution immediately

• Hi lucasc0002,

Thank you for your response. Do you know how to pass the values between the appian jar and the newly created class?

Details:

I have defined a new feature step and defined the same in the StepDeifnition.java. But, I am not able to pass the values between the new definition class and the existing jar. To make it clear, Please find the below code

Feature File:

Scenario: Load Test Inputs
    1. Given I load value for variable "URL_Page" -- Custom defined (reading the value from the properties file)
    2. And I print value for variable "tv!URL_Page" -- Custom defined (Printing the value of the variable)
    3. And I set test variable "Test_var" with "Test Value" - Step Defined in Jar 
    4. Then I print value for variable "tv!Test_var" - Custom Defined (Trying to access the value of the "Test_var" using the custom defined step)

OUTPUT:

Feature File Check :www.google.com  - - (Output of custom defined step 1)

Feature File Check :null  - - (Output of custom defined step 4 ) - Expected to print the value set to the variable "Test_var" using the in-built step

• Hi lucasc0002,

Thank you for your response. Do you know how to pass the values between the appian jar and the newly created class?

Details:

I have defined a new feature step and defined the same in the StepDeifnition.java. But, I am not able to pass the values between the new definition class and the existing jar. To make it clear, Please find the below code

Feature File:

Scenario: Load Test Inputs
    1. Given I load value for variable "URL_Page" -- Custom defined (reading the value from the properties file)
    2. And I print value for variable "tv!URL_Page" -- Custom defined (Printing the value of the variable)
    3. And I set test variable "Test_var" with "Test Value" - Step Defined in Jar 
    4. Then I print value for variable "tv!Test_var" - Custom Defined (Trying to access the value of the "Test_var" using the custom defined step)

OUTPUT:

Feature File Check :www.google.com  - - (Output of custom defined step 1)

Feature File Check :null  - - (Output of custom defined step 4 ) - Expected to print the value set to the variable "Test_var" using the in-built step

Children