Best approach to export data from Appian database

I want to export tablewise data of multiple tables from Appian database. What would be the best approach for it?

I have tried to export data using 'Export CDT to Excel' smart service but I am facing 'Export CDT to Excel' node failure.

Please help me to understand if one script task, Export CDT to Excel smart service are enough to do it? Also, please practically explain the 'Export CDT to Excel' smart service.

In Addition, I also want to know if there is any way possible to export incremental data i.e. whenever we run this process model, only the data that is added after the previous execution of this process model (last time execution) should be visible in the excel sheet.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • which formats are fine for you and why do you need to export the DB? - Then perhaps you can run your own query entity

Is it a normal operation that you are going to take or it is only one time activity? - Then go to Appian DB on mysql and export DB

How much data are you expecting to export?

• Thank you for the quick response.

Data in any of the formats will be fine for us. I need to export the database tables for project purpose.

It is not a one time activity. We need to perform it once or twice a day.

The data we are trying to export is in bulk. There are many table and we have to export all the tables. 

• Then I would use

"Export Data Store Entity to CSV" and i would create one csv per entity. Then save it in a folder and/or send it somewhere.

• I have read about 'Export Data Store Entity to CSV' smart service and implemented the below code..

a!localVariables(
      local!exportDocId,
      local!errorMessage,
      {
        if(
          isnull(local!exportDocId),
          /*This link field contains the link that starts the export*/
          a!linkField(
            labelPosition: "COLLAPSED",
            links: a!dynamicLink(
              label: "Export to CSV File",
              saveInto: {
                a!exportDataStoreEntityToCsv(
                  entity: cons!ENTITY,
                  documentName: "CSV Export " & now(),
                  saveInFolder: cons!FOLDER,
                  onSuccess: a!save(
                    local!exportDocId,
                    fv!newDocument
                  ),
                  /*This displays an error if there is an issue executing the the save*/
                  onError: a!save(
                    local!errorMessage,
                    "Error Exporting File to CSV"
                  )
                )
              }
            )
          ),
          {}
        ),
        if(
          /*This only displays the download link if a valid document was created*/
          not(isnull(local!exportDocId)),
          /*This changes the link to a download link for the newly created document */
          a!linkField(
            links: a!documentDownloadLink(
              label: "Download CSV File",
              document: local!exportDocId
            )
          ),
          a!textField(
            value: local!errorMessage,
            readOnly: true
          )
        )
      }
    )

I am able to export one csv file using this code in an interface.

How to connect this interface with process model to get the data from multiple tables. Please provide the screenshot of the process model with node configuration demonstration if possible.
  • I believe the poster above was suggesting that you implement this in a process instead of using an interface. An interface only allows you to export a single document at a time, but in a process you could export all of them and put them into a folder that could easily be retrieved later.

• I dont think it is a good idea to do via interface.

as requested, this is how it looks in the process model.

Those two settings required to make it work,

• Thank you for your help.

I am able to export data from multiple tables using multiple  'Export Data Store Entity to CSV' and 'Export Data Store Entity to Excel' smart services in the process model. I am able to download this data in my local system using 'User Input Task'. 

Now, I want to know how can I get this data on FTP site in place of downloading it on my local system?  

• Hello,

i think you should open a different threat for that question, and perhaps check if there is someone already with the same issue.

One solution could be to do via API and for sure there are ways to do via sftp, but i dont have experience with that case.

Reply Children