Export to excel with preserved text formatting

Hello All,

does anybody know how can I export text from DSE and preserve the formatting defined by HTML tags?

The use case is following:

1) I have a grid with fields where text can be formatted (bold, italic, underline, strikethrough text)

2) Formatted text is added thru the component richTextField from plugin created by Appian, which provides with a simple editor for rich text.

3) Formatted text is saved in DB as HTML text and it is converted to Rich Text display field only for displaying.

4) Customer is requesting the function which exports the data to Excel file and also preservers the formatting.

5) The export process works fine, but Excel does not correctly interpret HTML tags used for formatting. It is imported as a pure text.

This is the process model that I use.

Any advices on how to solve this case?

Thank you,

Michal

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply
  • Not surprised there.  We have v 2.2.6 of that plugin, believe they went to 2.2.11 or 12.  At least our version doesn't wipe the entire excel formatting, headers, etc..

Otherwise, this could be done in an HTML From Template output, convert to PDF if needed, but unlikely a pretty Excel output can be obtained.

And not to derail, but PS, nice work in the Live Build Challenge!  I did note in that chat when you were missing quotes on line 3 at one point, but not sure if you had a live chat feed ;) 

Children
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Chris

LOL, glad to see someone was watching.  My perspective was very limited: I was on a zoom call, screen sharing, with one other participant, and a silent countdown timer.  There was no outside interaction for the full 60 minutes.  I vaguely remember the brief issue you're talking about and hope I caught it fast enough.  I'm pretty sure I just demonstrated (via being a "control" of sorts) how much faster the GUI design stuff is - at least for those who are very used to it.  Also I wonder if anyone saw my exasperation when I repeatedly had to wait 2 or 3 seconds for Appian to catch up on autocomplete elements for me - I may have lost a net 10 or 15 minutes to that.

• Awesome to hear the insider perspective!  That was a fantastic part of AW2021 (potentially my favorite).  The live commentary was epic to boot!  Highly recommended to watch for anyone who didn't catch it live (not sure if they've posted it yet however).

I'm with you on the GUI design, once in a while I flip off expression mode just to see what it's like over there lol..  And they did not focus on any autocomplete delay situations :) 

• Thanks for the idea, I will offer the customer a solution with PDF.