Best way to submit new feature ideas?

Certified Senior Developer

Hi All,

What is the best way to point out missing features of Appian? I am just wondering if there is any feedback mechanism aside to the community and support cases specifically for this purpose. I do already experience good support from Appian in general, but I am wondering if there is any place where I can view (and vote) new requested features / Appian roadmap?

For example I am missing:

1. Adding a dynamic link in an empty grid message
  2. Disable future dates in the date input field, https://community.appian.com/discussions/f/rules/18008/calendar-blockout-disable-hide-of-future-dates/70841#70841

I understand there are other priorities, but it would be nice to have an official avenue for submitting ideas. See also this related thread https://community.appian.com/discussions/f/user-interface/12151/product-improvement-idea

Thanks in advance,

Jesper

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• +1
    Certified Lead Developer
    I am just wondering if there is any feedback mechanism aside to the community and support cases specifically for this purpose.

As far as we've been told, for now at least these are the two "official" methods; general feature requests get their own threads here, and urgent issues affecting a production system (etc) can merit support cases to make sure the use case is noted on the Appian engineering backlog.  I do know that they've heard our requests for a more official, transparent, public-yet-vetted feature request system, but I have no idea if or when we should expect such a thing to go live.

Certified Senior Developer
    in reply to Mike Schmitt

Thanks Mike for your clear answer. Hopefully soon Appian will find some room to work on such an initiative. Until then I am going to use general feature requests.

• Like Mike said, at this time we don't have an official process on Appian Community for submitting feature requests. However, we do actively look for feature requests here, so adding a new thread is a great way to surface them!

A few questions to help us understand these requests:

• Can you give more context on the business use case? For example, what are you hoping to do with a dynamic link in an empty grid?
    • What is the impact of these requests? Were you blocked completely or did you have a work around?

An important thing to remember when adding requests like this is that understanding why this is needed is the most important context. For example, adding a dynamic link to an empty grid is just one possible approach we could take; behavior of dynamic links usually matches the behavior of out-of-the-box "save" parameters. Helping us understand more about the why helps us prioritize accordingly.

Thanks!