Fitnesse 23.1

Hello Folks, 
I am interested in using Fitnesse as a QA automation tool for my product. I have successfully imported Fitnesse 23.1 on the cloud, and I can access three menus: Automated Test Grid, Data Input, and All Fields. However, I am having difficulty locating documentation on how to use the Automated Testing application. Could someone please refer me to any helpful material such as documentation or videos that can assist me in learning and effectively using this application for test automation?
I need material for fitnesse 23.1.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • I think Cucumber for Appian is a much better framework than Selenium for Appian. 

• Can you please refer me some tutorials, consider me a beginner

• You can download the automation framework here: https://community.appian.com/b/appmarket/posts/cucumber-for-appian

You will also want to understand Gherkin syntax: https://cucumber.io/docs/guides/10-minute-tutorial/?lang=java

I suggest using IntelliJ Community Edition as it's the best IDE. Once you download the automation files from Appian, you need to unzip the file, and then in IntelliJ, select New -> Project from Existing Sources and navigate to that unzipped directory. 

Once you're actually in the framework, there is a pretty good bit of instructions. The most tricky part of automating an Appian application is ensuring that your developers add accessibility text. Everything Appian automation does uses these alt-text fields. 

They don't explain how to use a "Scenario Outline with Examples" to pass in a data set. That is covered in the Cucumber tutorial.

I don't suggest using Fitness mainly because it's over-complicated. When you write a test script, you must always write it as a data table, which can waste time in many situations.  With Cucumber, you have the option between just writing simple scripts such as:

When I click on the button "button_alt_text" or 

"When I populate field "field_alt_text" with "example_data." 

Cucumber is much more readable and has a much larger user base, and you can find support. 

Once you are comfortable with Cucumber, I suggest learning Java and switching to Selenium for Cucumber. It's more complicated but powerful since you can create custom methods and classes (as step definitions.) 

Technically, nothing stops you from expanding Cucumber for Appian and adding extra steps to do things you need. Connecting Cucumber to Jira is also extremely easy if you turn the "RunCucumberForAppianTest" class into a JUnit class. You can then add a @BeforeClass method that gets your Jira authorization token (I used Postman to create the REST request and then used the feature in Postman that turns a script into Java code.) 

I also use a @AfterClass method that then sends my report to Jira and again, I generated this code with Postman. 

• Thanks. You explained so nicely and in depth. Impressive 
    I am going to try cucumber, as I have tried Fitnesse with no result. 
    Can you suggest any video link, which have complete explanation from installation to first test case.
    Thanks 

Reply Children
No Data