Is Appian Developer a Good Job?

Is pursuing a career as an Appian developer a wise choice?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

I've made no secret of the fact that joining an Appian dev firm (just over 12 years ago now) literally saved me from a dead-end job as a base-level hardware tech for retail computer equipment and loosely-related items, which was interesting in its own right but tended to be very dirty, thankless, and with really unpredictable hours.

The caveat though, is I was already interested in software development, and though I had no professional experience to speak of, I'd trained myself in some basic programming while in high school, and had gotten a degree in computer science (which was, since, collecting dust).  So I'd warn that it's not just for *anybody* - you need to be interested enugh to learn, you need to be a certain degree of fearless to try out things and troubleshoot solutions when you can't figure stuff out at first, and in most cases i'd wager that you need at least a small predisposition towards software dev or at least algorithmic thinking, in order to not have a bad time the first time you end up needing to implement a complex expression rule to do some sort of data transformation.

But for anyone who fits most of that bill?  I'd say yes, it's a field that's well in demand at this point, and will ultimately pay off.

Certified Lead Developer

I've made no secret of the fact that joining an Appian dev firm (just over 12 years ago now) literally saved me from a dead-end job as a base-level hardware tech for retail computer equipment and loosely-related items, which was interesting in its own right but tended to be very dirty, thankless, and with really unpredictable hours.

The caveat though, is I was already interested in software development, and though I had no professional experience to speak of, I'd trained myself in some basic programming while in high school, and had gotten a degree in computer science (which was, since, collecting dust).  So I'd warn that it's not just for *anybody* - you need to be interested enugh to learn, you need to be a certain degree of fearless to try out things and troubleshoot solutions when you can't figure stuff out at first, and in most cases i'd wager that you need at least a small predisposition towards software dev or at least algorithmic thinking, in order to not have a bad time the first time you end up needing to implement a complex expression rule to do some sort of data transformation.

But for anyone who fits most of that bill?  I'd say yes, it's a field that's well in demand at this point, and will ultimately pay off.

Children
No Data