We have long running processes that were initiated by users who are now inactive

We have long running processes that were initiated by users who are now inactive. These process models have nodes which are configured to be executed by process initiator and they are failing at these nodes.

Is there a way in which these processes can be completed successfully without the need of reactivating these users? Is there any smart service which can be used to either change the assignment of inflight process instance or change the initiator? Can we achieve this using process upgrade?...

OriginalPostID-136043

OriginalPostID-136043

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• If it is simply a matter of a few processes I believe you could take the manual approach and go in as administrator and reassign these to active users. If you need a more automated approach then this might be something where you could create some process-backed records and loop through those pulling out the assigned to user and replacing that value with something correct. I haven't done this before so I would need to defer to someone who has some experience with automating updates to in-flight processes.

Not sure if it's a valid option but perhaps to reduce the amount of effort you also might kill/cancel some of these older workflows as they are stale.
  • By process upgrade do you mean this smart service?...

forum.appian.com/.../summary

You should be able to create a new version with the correct assignment then use this to upgrade running instances and then to re-start the tasks that have failed. You could try using a Task report to identify the instances which need the re-assigned tasks re-starting.