Im using the LDAP Synchronization smart service to keep our Appian user store in

Im using the LDAP Synchronization smart service to keep our Appian user store in synch with our LDAP. However, Im having trouble with updating the groups in Appian when they change in LDAP.
Im not familiar with what this service can and cant do so I'd like to ask if this is possible. If it is, please point me to some documentation on how to properly configure this. I've obviously missed something.
Thank you....

OriginalPostID-113282

OriginalPostID-113282

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• When you say "groups change in LDAP" do you mean the name/location or membership? If it is the latter you are looking for, have a look at the sample app attached to the node record. The idea is behind it is pretty basic: synch one group at a time based on LDAP filters.
  • Yes, I am referring to a Group membership where users are associated with groups. I have installed the LDAP plugin but when I tried to import the LDAP sample app and it failed to import the model with the below error.

This is the plugin I have installed.
    adusersynchronizationwithusernames-1.0.6_1.0.6

Problems (1):
    processModel 0003d286-a512-8000-eca6-820000820000 "ldap synch test - Appian AD": The processModel [id= uuid=0003d286-a512-8000-eca6-820000820000] was not imported because a required reference is missing: The referenced smart service [local-id=adusersynchronization.ADUserSynchronization, name=AD User Synchronization] was not found. (APNX-1-4073-000) (APNX-1-4071-006)
  • Not sure what happened but the attachment was wrong. Please download the one I just uploaded.
  • I want to confirm that I am looking at the right plugin and sample app. The plugin should be the follow, correct?
    "LDAP User Profile Synchronization with Usernames plugin"
  • Mike, I have looked over the example in an attempt to sync LDAP Groups (membership) to my Appian instance but am struggling to get it working. Originally we had Appian Support help us with this, and it appears very straight forward, but the groups and uniqueMember attributes are no longer being updated in Appian.

Basically we want to sync everything under the base DN, people and groups. Our groups are set up in a way that people are uniqueMembers of an organizational group. These organizational groups are then uniqueMembers of application groups.
    We use the application groups to authorize users within an application. We occasionally add LDAP organization or application groups which would need to be synced in Appian. Does the LDAP User Profile Synchronization with Usernames plugin support syncing everything under the base DN like I described?

Our process is simple. I consists of the start node, the LDAP sync node, and the end node. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
  • The LDAP sync node will not sync group memberships, the node only syncs users. Then based on the usernames output from the node you can then sync those users to groups using a process model, like in the example. If you just have the LDAP sync node in your model, the plugin will find users in LDAP matching your LDAP search criteria and then create/update them in Appian. It does not resolve group memberships on its own.
  • What is the best practice for working with Appian Groups and People (synced from LDAP)? Im wondering if we are trying to do things the hard way here. Should Groups be managed in Appian in conjunction with the LDAP groups? For example if a new group is added in LDAP, is the procedure to create a matching group in Appian then through a process and the LDAP synch plugin, sync LDAP people to the Appian group?