Process 101 Build Application Step 9 Not Working

I have followed the document as described but getting the following error when running in debug mode:

Even the sample application provided has the same issue. My Interface is configured as follows:

Up to this exercise everything seems to have worked as expected. I tried changing the rule input in the interface to Vehicle which resulted in a lot more error messages. I deleted the process model and generated a new "Create" process model automatically.

Any help to get working would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Senior Developer

can u share the interface code. 

• Also if you open the community edition and open application W###AA Acme Automobile Reference Application, you can see the configuration for Process Model: W###AA PM Add Vehicle. If you run this process in debugging mode, you should hit the same error I did. Interestingly, the start form is not even opened and the process moves directly to the Write Record node.

Certified Senior Developer
    in reply to Jitesh H Samani

bec we added interface in start node, interface not taking null values bec of required check. thats why getting error. if u take user input task or if u open directly in site page it wont get error. try it. 

• Thanks for your response Pragna, but I am really confused, particularly as I have followed instructions as per the Appian Process Modelling 101  training. What I understand from your comments:

1. If you have a form in the start node of a process, this results in errors and not possible to run process flow in debug mode?
    2. Is the Appian documentation and steps for the exercise incorrect? Do they need checking and revising?
    3. The reference application in the Community edition also fails with the same error - has Appian not tested their own code?

I would like to believe it is something in my configuration but really struggling to diagnose to the root cause.

What do you mean by " if u take user input task" - please explain the steps as I am new to Appian?

• Hi  !

Thanks for reaching out and excited to welcome you to Appian! It is definitely odd that the reference application is also failing. I just ran a test myself and all seems in order, so I am curious if something else is going on. 

You commented that the start form doesnt open and the process moves directly to the Write Record node. The error you are getting does indicate that the process variable "record" is not being populated correctly, creating an issue when trying to write as the process has no idea what the data is, or what the structure of that data is. Since the start form doesnt appear for you, that could be the reason we are getting this error. 

My first thought would be to check out how the start form is configured in the Process Model > Process Properties. Considering your start node has the interface icon inside, that tells me that you do have a start form configured - but the rule inputs of the underlying interface may not be mapped to the correct process variables. 

Can you include a screenshot of the process start form tab in process model > process properties? 

Alternatively, since the reference application is also having the same issue, can you tell me if you are using Chrome, or a different browser? We know that browsers other than Chrome are a little finicky with process models. 

• Hi Greg, thanks for your comprehensive reply and welcome. Looking forward to be a part.

Browser - I am using Google Chrome Version 127.0.6533.89 (Official Build) (64-bit).

Reference application: I am on the German Community Edition and my reference application is W0450AA Acme Automobile Reference Application. As an Appian employee you may be able to access this instance and trying executing the reference app process flow in debug mode to verify if it is something my end?

Process Model start form:

Reference app is as below:

When executing process flow in debugging mode, no start form appears:

May be it's an issue with the instance set up?

• Could be! Based on your screenshots, I do not see anything out of the ordinary. I will connect with a community team member on Monday to see if they can dive deeper into your process model. I will reach back out once I learn more. 

Certified Associate Developer
    in reply to Jitesh H Samani

Hi, may I know why you are using integerField for the image?

Reply Children