CI: Using Automated Versioning Manager (AVM) 2.4.2 with GIT & SSH-AGENT on Ubuntu still requires username/password

Hi There,

I've hit a snag using the AVM version 2.4.2, please see below a few questions for which I couldn't get answers searching online + Appian's docs.

Context: I'm using my GIT repo's SSH URL and I've got an ssh-agent running in my XUbuntu OS which allowed my to clone the project's GIT repo as always through the terminal.

Questions:

1. How do I tell the AVM tool not to try and authenticate with my GIT server if I have an ssh-agent running?

2. If it is recommended as per the plugin docs to use the GIT SSH URL rather than the HTTPS url, why then does the tool still require the vcUsername and vcPassword?

3. Would it be possible to allow users to tell the AVM tool not to try do anything with the GIT remote server so that users can have full control of GIT activities to perform via the terminal or a dedicated Git tool if they want to? Encapsulating the GIT actions in AVM is a bit superfluous and doesn't really prevent one to do what they want with the repo outside the AVM tool, so why not?

version-manager.properties:

applicationPath="/AppianProjects/application.zip"

localRepoPath="/projects/my-project/"

repoUrl="git@{redacted-url}/my-project.git"

versionControlType=GIT

Error Details:

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Hi, were you able to find a fix? I am facing the same issue and don't have any clue how to proceed.
  • Hi Simran,

I've paused a bit with this on my backlog. At the moment I'm setting up a distributed Appian environment using Docker + Kubernentes.

1. I did get the version-manager working on windows with Pageant as my SSH authentication agent. Since our Appian developers here at work use Windows most of the time then this should be fine temporarily. 

2. Pageant seems to manage the authentications "nicely" on Windows, but the version-manager still asks for the "vc-user & password"!, I just hit enter without any values and Pageant intercepts the SSH authentication. However, @AppianTeam: the preference is to get full control of the git operations outside of the version-manager.

3. The tool works fine with git over HTTPS but its not a preferred approach.

4. What I need to do next is figure out a way to have my Linux ssh-agent work as well enough as Pageant does on windows as an interim solution. You may figure out this one before I get to it so please do share your solution!

Regards,

Treasure

• Treasure -- Did your team ever find a way to do this?

Reply Children
No Data