Pipe Delimited File from "Export Sql to Flat File" is splitting into multiple columns when a field includes a comma

We are creating a pipe delimited CSV file but are running into an issue when text contains a column. When the CSV is opened in Excel we expect all of the data to populate in column A. When a field contains a comma, the text after comma is returned in column B. This prevents the user from being able to break up the file based on the delimiter.

Is there anyway to make the plugin ignore the comma so that all of the data is only split by the pipe? Thanks!

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Hello Lauren,

I am assuming you are not in the version 18.2 which contains the option by standard, if you are in this version please use this
    * docs.appian.com/.../Export_To_CSV_Smart_Service.html

Answering your question I would start by saying that your file shouldn't be file.csv (which stands for comma separated value) it sounds like it should be file.psv (pipe separated value) =)

What is happening with Excel is that when you put the extension csv it knows that every comma is a new column , so I can think about some options here.
    * My first option would be directly to use the "Export SQL data to CSV"
    * if your information doesn't contains any double Quote then maybe you can use just the double quotes "around the whole column" this will help Excel to know that the comma is part of the value.
    * another option I can think is that the suer can open a new excel and import it as a txt datasource delimited by the Pipe, which requires more handling, take a look at "The Text Import Wizard" from the link "" www.makeuseof.com/.../

Jose
  • Hello Lauren,

I am assuming you are not in the version 18.2 which contains the option by standard, if you are in this version please use this
    * docs.appian.com/.../Export_To_CSV_Smart_Service.html

Answering your question I would start by saying that your file shouldn't be file.csv (which stands for comma separated value) it sounds like it should be file.psv (pipe separated value) =)

What is happening with Excel is that when you put the extension csv it knows that every comma is a new column , so I can think about some options here.
    * My first option would be directly to use the "Export SQL data to CSV"
    * if your information doesn't contains any double Quote then maybe you can use just the double quotes "around the whole column" this will help Excel to know that the comma is part of the value.
    * another option I can think is that the suer can open a new excel and import it as a txt datasource delimited by the Pipe, which requires more handling, take a look at "The Text Import Wizard" from the link "" www.makeuseof.com/.../

Jose
Children
No Data