Why [ Automation Version Management ] when appian is already having version control to their objects

Hi All,

I am going through the Automating Delivery using Continuous Integration (https://community.appian.com/w/the-appian-playbook/169/automating-delivery-using-continuous-integration

for Continuous Integration two steps are (Please correct me if i am wrong )

1) Version Controller where we require one software for version control i.e Automated Version Controller ( Git or Subversion)  

2) Appian automated deployment manger which will interact with this version controller. ( Jenkins or Hudson)

Where this two software's can be used individually or in congestion.

In forum they explained how we deal with Automated Version Controller , all developers will be updating the this repository for every their partial success of the code so the it will merged( with all the developers code) 

My doubt here is Where appian is already maintains the versions for every object , here exactly i didn't get the use of  Automated Version Controller.

Can someone make this more clear please?

Thanks,

Bhargavi P

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Hi Bhargavi,

Appian maintains versions for Appian artifacts(Process models, rules etc) but it doesn't maintain versions on Application level as of know, however Appian has introduced Data server in 18.1 with the intention of maintaining application level versions as well but it is not in place right now. Here comes the need for Automated Version Controller like Git(which I have worked upon personally) where you can export the complete application in a form of zip file and attach that zip file in GIT repository link it with a tag id(Incremental no.) so that you can have complete information how,what and when the changes were made at application level because using Automated Version Controller you can maintain application level versioning explicitly.

Hope it helps!!
  • Agree with Prateek,
    As of now Appian maintains versions in object level but not applications level. And AFAIK when you are importing Application in GIT repository it maintains version of your whole application.
  • Few more points I would like to add in answer.

As we are saving version of application now, we can literally rollback at any stage of development.
    This means we can can change version of number of objects at one go if we save the application in version controller.
    If user wishes to use previously suggested functionality then rather then changing version and keeping track of every single object it's always good to keep version of whole of the application at once.

Hope this justifies...!