Plug-Ins developed with Libraries under AGPL license

Hi Forum,

we have developed some plugins using libraries under AGPL license. Since this is under AGPL license, plugin is not cloud approved.

we are now considering buying the commercial version of the libraries. 

Are we allowed to use the plugins in CLOUD once proper commercial licenses are obtained? what is the procedure for getting the plugin installed in the CLOUD environment.

Thanks for any inputs on this topic,

Siddharth

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Can I create custom plug-ins?

Yes, but a licensed on-premise installation is required to develop and test custom plug-ins. An alternative for Appian Cloud customers is to utilize Appian Professional Services or an Appian Partner to build and test custom plug-ins. Any custom plug-in that you want to deploy to your site must be requested via a support case on Appian Forum and source code for the plug-in must be provided along with the request. Appian Support will review and approve the plug-in before it can be deployed. Please allow 2 days for this review process.

Cloud Approved Shared Components can be added to sites and updated to the latest version through the Admin Console.

I found this in the CLOUD FAQs. 

Only question i have is, if APPIAN Support will approve the plugin once we get the commercial licenses for the libraries?

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to siddharths

If you have the commercial license language you can open a support case before moving forward to see if there is any potential conflict that would cause the Appian Cloud team to deny the plugin. That way you don't move forward with purchasing a licenses, building a plugin, and then find out Appian Cloud won't be able to deploy it. Any language that would require the release of Appian's proprietary source code will get denied. 

• Thanks Eric.

I have opened a ticket to check if the plugin can be deployed with commercial license.

With AGPI License, source code needed to be released.

With commercial license, source code need not be released.

I will update here once i get a response.

• even If you get a commercial license , i dont think you can get a cloud approval, although appian will allow you to deploy only in your environment. there have certain custom plugins which we deployed in cloud even though its not present in the community