Is it possible for an upgrade to automatically replace deprecated plugin smart service nodes?

Certified Senior Developer

Can an Appian update cause deprecated third party nodes to be replaced with new out of the box nodes?

It sounds like a crazy question i know. So I had a really weird experience today. 

We are using a deprecated plugin in one of our process models called excel_export (v3.1).

2 months ago, it got removed accidentally, breaking our functionality.  It has ? marks over the icons, and upon re-adding the plugin, its node art came back and functionality resumed.

I put a task down to replace the plugin with existing functionality and ignored it for 2 months.  We upgraded to 19.3 today

I took another look at the process model today, and suddenly the nodes using excel_export deprecated smart services where replaced by  out of the box nodes(with the same name) that did not exist as options 2 months ago as out of the box nodes!

The 2 smart service nodes that where replaced are in the screenshot.

Can this happen?  Or am I going crazy.  I am disabling the plugin again this week to see if the functionality cuts off again. But looking at this 2 months later, I don't think it should.

Oh, also there where no sneaky developers editing this model.  I checked the history and am basically our sole developer.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Hello,

The process model will not get the update automatically. When smart service is deprecated and new smart service is provided in a better way.  We need to config it again. Please review verison. I and sure that process model will not get updated automatically.

Also deprecated means smart service will be there, it is not completely removed. It will stay there for a while until every one start using the new one.

So no need even delete. Recognize the process and change them one by one.

Cheers

Certified Senior Developer
    in reply to Sushil Kapoor

I know what a deprecation is, and how to replace deprecated nodes.

My post is me confirming they these two where third party deprecated nodes 2 months ago, and now without any observable history they are now replaced with out of the box smart services that I did not see existing 2 months ago. 

I was looking for more responses about things like maybe the version that Export SQL to Excel smart service became an out of the box smart service.

If anyone can answer that version,  I would accept that as an answer. 

Well, either that, or verifying a change like I described can occur., but that is a little too optimistic.