FitNesse For Appian Driver Issue

Certified Lead Developer

HI all. I've just installed FitNesse For Appian, and edited the example test as required.

I'm getting this error despite

reinstalling the app in different paths

downloading and installing the latest Chrome driver (v78)

tried explicitly setting the chrome.driver.home in custom.properties file

despite these efforts, the NULL fragment persists.

The driver executable does not exist: C:\FitNesse\FitNesseForAppian\null\lib\drivers\chromedriver.exe

Does anyone know what the issue might be?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • This could be due to windows format for "\", can you share what you put for chrome.driver.home in the custom properties file?

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Vincent Wang

Hi Vincent,

Thanks for responding...

I've got the chrome.driver.home blank as per the instructions (I'm using the default driver location), but when I tried coding the path directly I did use escaped backslashes.

My custom properties file is below. Note that I've altered the automated.testing.home since I posted the screenshot, but I still get the same /null/ segment inserted into the drivers URL.

('ve also tried adding C:\\FitNesse\\ to see if that helped, but no)

------------------------------

automated.testing.home=C:\\FitNesse

FITNESSE_FOR_APPIAN_VERSION=v19.2
    download.directory=C:\\FitNesse\\Downloads
    download.mime.types=application/xml,text/plain,text/xml,image/jpeg,image/png

# When set to true, FitNesse tests will login to Tempo News, ignoring any path in the URL after /suite
    login.to.base.url=false

### CHROME ###
    # Leave blank if installed in default location of: C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Chrome/Application/chrome.exe
    # For MacOS or Linux/Unix, update with location of Chrome binary
    chrome.browser.home=
    # Leave blank if using the Windows driver included in TESTING_HOME/lib/drivers/chromedriver.exe
    # For MacOs or Linux/Unix, update with correct driver in TESTING_HOME/lib/drivers, e.g. /TESTING_HOME/lib/drivers/chromedriver-mac
    # Download new or additional drivers at sites.google.com/.../downloads
    chrome.driver.home=

Appian Employee
    in reply to alland

It looks like you have created a folder called FitNesse inside your C drive
    So you will need to set the automated.testing.home to C:\\FitNesse\\FitNesseForAppian

Could you also manually verify that there is a FitNesseForAppian folder inside your C:\\FitNesse folder? 

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Vincent Wang

Hi Vincent.

A little more experimentation has solved the issue, thanks for the pointers.

The documentation at https://community.appian.com/w/the-appian-playbook/97/automated-testing-with-fitnesse-for-appian contains the line 'automated.testing.home to be TESTING_HOME (e.g. C:\FitNesseForAppian)', which to me suggests that the home can be anything as long as TESTING_HOME is defined in the config.

It would appear that something is hardcoded that breaks this standard though, as I finally got it to work ONLY when I had C:\FitNesseForAppian as the root folder, or as you say above, if the root contains \FitNesseForAppian.

A subtle point I know but its taken a while to resolve owing to the confusion.

Thanks again for your help though!

• Hi 

I am still getting the error even my testing home is- C:\\FitNesseForAppian

Error :

The driver executable does not exist: C:\FitNesseForAppian\null\lib\drivers\chromedriver.exe 

Below is my custom properties file:

automated.testing.home=C:\\FitNesseForAppian

FITNESSE_FOR_APPIAN_VERSION=v20.1
    download.directory=C:\\FitNesseForAppian\\Downloads

# When set to true, FitNesse tests will login to Tempo News, ignoring any path in the URL after /suite
    login.to.base.url=false

### CHROME ###
    # Leave blank if installed in default location of: C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Chrome/Application/chrome.exe
    chrome.browser.home=
    # Leave blank if using the Windows driver included in TESTING_HOME/lib/drivers/chromedriver.exe
    # For MacOs or Linux/Unix, update with correct driver in TESTING_HOME/lib/drivers, e.g. /TESTING_HOME/lib/drivers/chromedriver-mac
    chrome.driver.home=

### FIREFOX ###
    # Leave blank if installed in default location of: C:/Program Files (x86)/Mozilla Firefox/firefox.exe
    # For MacOS or Linux/Unix, update with location of Firefox binary
    firefox.browser.home=
    # Leave blank if using the Windows driver included in TESTING_HOME/lib/drivers/geckodriver.exe
    # For MacOS or Linux/Unix, update with correct driver in TESTING_HOME/lib/drivers, e.g. /TESTINGHOME/lib/drivers/geckodriver-mac
    # Download new or additional drivers at github.com/.../releases
    firefox.driver.home=

• Hi

Was this issue resolved ? 

and how did you fix it ? 

Q

Reply Children
  • Hi

I had the same error: 

The driver executable does not exist: C:\FitNesseForAppian\null\lib\drivers\chromedriver.exe 

After a few workarounds the issue was resolved. This was done by the following:

1. Set the TESTING_HOME to fitnesse-for-appian-22.2. The file's contents are shown below:

2. configs > custom.properties file:

### INSTALLATION PROPERTIES ###
    # Populate with location of this project's Home Directory. Home Directory is the unzipped directory.
    automated.testing.home=C:\\fitnesse-for-appian-22.2

download.directory=C:\\Users\\dimitris.kazantzis\\Downloads

# When set to true, login will login to Tempo News, ignoring any path in the URL after /suite
    login.to.base.url=false

### CHROME ###
    # Leave blank if installed in default location of: C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Google\\Chrome\\Application\\chrome.exe
    chrome.browser.home=C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Chrome\\Application\\chrome.exe
    # Leave blank if using the Windows driver included in TESTING_HOME\\lib\\drivers\\chromedriver.exe
    chrome.driver.home=C:\\fitnesse-for-appian-22.2\\lib\\drivers\\chromedriver.exe

The initial error occurred when I included the contents of both files (fitnesse-for-appian-22.2 and Automated Testing-22.2) under the same TESTING_HOME. Therefore, I would suggest separating the two folders and using only fitnesse-for-appian-22.2 as the TESTING_HOME.