We are currently performing maintenance on Appian Community. As a result, discussions posts and replies are temporarily unavailable. We appreciate your patience.

Latest document version not being captured

Certified Senior Developer

Having an issue with document related Plugins such as Copy Document and PDF from Docx(with fonts)

To test the scenario, I created and uploaded a docx file to appian called "WordDocument". In the body of the document, i input "Version #1"

I then uploaded a two addtional versions. The document had the same file name, but the body was changed to "Version #2" and "Version #3"

Using the Copy Document node in my process model, each time i run the process, it ignores the latest version of the document, and continues to copy version 1.

Note: We are using v1.2.0 of Content Tools

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Certified Lead Developer

Hey aakash- hope things are going well for y'all.

I had a similar issue when dealing with a custom plug-in that generates an excel file - i noticed eventually that it always gets the original version of an uploaded template and disregards subsequent new versions.  I believe this is a bug in the plug-in in question, and it sounds from your description like Content Tools might have a similar issue.

Luckily I stumbled on the following code snippet which uses a bit of a brute-force approach to look up the document id for the latest version of a file with multiple versions (i think in the Appian FS, the updated version is given its own unique id, but the original ID essentially becomes a pointer to the new ID, which helps explain why certain functionality misses this and still uses the original referenced document).

We have this as a utility expression rule i.e. `RULE_Utility_getLatestDocumentVersion`, with an input for Document and an optional input for RootFolder (which i think can usually be omitted).

todocument(
      tointeger(
        index(
          findcontentbyattribute(
            searchAllContent: false(),
            contentType: "document",
            attributeName: "name",
            searchCriteria: document(ri!document, "name"),
            rootFolder: rule!RULE_General_replaceNull(
              ri!rootFolder,
              document(ri!document, "folderId")
            )