calworkminutesplugin issue

Certified Lead Developer

calworkminutesplugin is working fine in expression rule. But when i call the expression rule from the process model getting the below error message.

Expression evaluation error in rule 'xxxxx' at function 'calworkminutesplugin' [line xx: ) (Data Outputs)

Any Suggestions Please.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Certified Lead Developer

Did you check the tomcat-stdout log file for any details?

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Stefan Helzle

Hi Stefan, thanks for quick response.

the log file showing as below:

Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
    	at com.appiancorp.ps.plugins.calendarfunctions.CalendarHelper.initializeCalendar(CalendarHelper.java:47)
    	at com.appiancorp.ps.plugins.calendarfunctions.CalWorkMinutesPlugin.CalWorkMinutesPlugin(CalWorkMinutesPlugin.java:36)
    	at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor4564.invoke(Unknown Source)
    	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
    	at com.appiancorp.process.expression.CustomFunction$1.call(CustomFunction.java:846)
    	at com.appiancorp.common.ContextClassLoaderSwitcher.runInContext(ContextClassLoaderSwitcher.java:27)
    	at com.appiancorp.process.expression.CustomFunction.evaluate(CustomFunction.java:840)
    	at com.appiancorp.process.expression.CustomFunction.evalDynamic0(CustomFunction.java:248)
    	at com.appiancorp.process.expression.CustomFunction.lambda$evalDynamic$0(CustomFunction.java:240)
    	at com.appiancorp.plugins.PluginUsageLogger.callWithPluginInformation(PluginUsageLogger.java:39)
    	at com.appiancorp.process.expression.CustomFunction.evalDynamic(CustomFunction.java:239)
    	at com.appiancorp.process.expression.CustomFunction.eval0(CustomFunction.java:208)
    	at com.appiancorp.core.expr.DefaultEvaluable.eval(DefaultEvaluable.java:214)
    	at com.appiancorp.process.expression.ExpressionEvaluator.evaluate(ExpressionEvaluator.java:314)
    	at com.appiancorp.core.expr.FunctionCallDelegate$ExternalFunctionCallWithContext.evaluateCustomerPluginFunction(FunctionCallDelegate.java:395)
    	at com.appiancorp.core.expr.FunctionCallDelegate$ExternalFunctionCallWithContext.doCallWithMetrics(FunctionCallDelegate.java:362)
    	at com.appiancorp.core.expr.FunctionCallDelegate$ExternalFunctionCallWithContext.eval(FunctionCallDelegate.java:333)
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Rama Krishna Golla

Works fine for me on 23.3 and the latest version of the plugin (which dates back to 2016 :))

Can you give more details on how you are calling it?

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Mathieu Drouin

Hi Mathieu, thanks for your reply. 

i am storing the date and time for starttime in the database. after that i am pulling it from the db and passing it to the function

calworkminutesplugin(cdt.starttime, ri!endTime).

i tried even by adding gmt function as below:

calworkminutesplugin(gmt(cdt.starttime,"GMT+00:00"), ri!endTime).

both cases its failing. its fine in expression rule for both approaches. but when i call it from PM throwing an error message

Expression evaluation error in rule 'xxxxx' at function 'calworkminutesplugin' [line xx: ) (Data Outputs)

Certified Lead Developer

How about putting both values you are passing in PVs first to see what you are passing to the expression?

Also - can you clarify the rule inputs for your expression? You have ri!endTime but what is cdt.starttime?

Certified Lead Developer

i am passing that as 

i am passing rule inputs as

cdt - which holds the starttime(date and time) and other attributes

endtime - capturing it in pv in the process model as now() as soon as the task is completed and passing the same.

the approach:

created separate subprocess calling 2 times in main PM. before and after starting the task 

calworkminutesplugin(cdt.starttime, ri!endTime).

sample code:

a!localVariables(

if(
    a!isNullOrEmpty(ri!cdt.xx),
    {
    a!entityData(
    entity: entity constant,
    data: a!update(
    data: ri!cdt,
    index: {
    "filed one","filed two",....

},
    value: {
    "value1"."value2"),
    }
    ),

).data
    },

{

*****here i am caluculating the time taking *****
    a!localVariables(

some filed calculation.....

i want get the total work min between 2 dates

local!totalmin : calworkminutesplugin(ri!cdt.starttime, ri!endTime)*/
    a!entityData(
    entity: entity constant,
    data: a!update(
    data: ri!cdt,
    index: {
    "filed one","filed one",....

},
    value: {
    "calculated value1"."calculated value2",...,
    }
    ),

).data

)

}
    ),

hopefully this will help.

Certified Lead Developer

The code is not super clear to me. For instance, why are you doing .data on a!entityData?

What I can say though is that the plugin seems to work fine when called from a process model therefore I would assume that there is something wrong with your expression.

Certified Lead Developer

Let me try to elaborate .

i am calling the same expression twice from PM

before starting the task, calling sub-process from main PM, that internal calling this expression, check the record exists or not so this time there is no record id so, it will return empty record id and  dump the cdt data in DB like recordis, startdate etc

after the task completed, again calling the same sub-process from main PM that internal calling the same expression, it will check the record id is there or not and it will go to else part and calculating the time taken in min and updating the existing record.

hope this will help

Certified Lead Developer

i can able to resolve that PM error but the plug is not working as expected always returning 0.

i tried by passing the parameter like this

calworkminutesplugin(
    datetime(2023,09,15,5,15),
    datetime(2023,09,15,5,25))

returning 0 instead of 10 min

gave the rule inputs as date and time the value i assigned as below

startdate  in the expression editor of rule input i mentioned as  "9/15/2023 5:15 AM"

startdate  in the expression editor of rule input i mentioned as  "9/15/2023 5:25 AM"

calworkminutesplugin(ri!startdate,ri!enddate)

this is also returning 0 instead of 10 min.

Any suggestion

Certified Senior Developer

Hi Rama,

Please check the process calendar setting of your environment , 0 might come in case of another time zone configured.

Thanks