SFTP Send File to a remote server

Certified Associate Developer

Hello,

I'm trying to send a file from my Appian application to a remote server that has its own hostname, username, password, and key file. I have implemented the process to do this.

While attempting to connect to this remote server, I have configured the file transfer configuration like this:

'type!{plugins.ps.appiancorp.com/.../}FT_Config'( serverPort: 22, serverHostName: cons!ETT_HostName, privateKeyFile: cons!ETT_SERVER_PRIVATE_KEY_RSA )

However, I still don't know how to successfully connect to the server, even though the process does not throw any errors. How can I resolve this? I'm really stuck; I can't find documentation, tutorials, or even an explanation of how the plugin works for beginners, which is a very terrible thing for such an important plugin.

The problem is that the process is not throwing any errors and there's no logic to connect to the server without the username and password.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

When downloading the plugin, it contains some documentation.

Then, did you try to check the tomcat stdout log file for details?

in reply to Stefan Helzle

I'm following just as the documentation says, and it's not helping much. Can you please tell me when to use the scsExternalSystemKey? Should I use it in my case? Also, sorry, I can't access the Tomcat stdout log; it shows me a 403 Forbidden error. Still waiting for my own environment to restart.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to hamzas0003

The tomcat log file is not inside the Tomcat folder.

Typically you store username and password in the SCS and then use the SCS kay in the plugin. Make sure to allow the plugin access to that SCS item.

• +1
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to hamzas0003

If your sFTP server just has username/password configuration, you would merely pass in the SCS external system key from the one you've hopefully already added into your Third Party Credential store in the Admin console. 

The FT_Config object you eventually want to be passing over via the Smart Service can be as simple as this example, which is my current working one except for some object names sanitized:

'type!{http://plugins.ps.appiancorp.com/suite/types/}FT_Config'(
      serverHostName: cons!PROJ_sFTP_HOST_NAME,
      /*e.g. serverHostName: "test.rebex.net",*/
      serverPort: 22,
      timeout: 20000,
      scsExternalSystemKey: cons!PROJ_sFTP_EXTERNAL_SYSTEM_KEY,
      usePerUserCredentials: false()
    )

(for yours, I assume you would continue also including the reference to your Private Key File just as you have it.  But you'd definitely need to add the External System Key.)

in reply to Mike Schmitt

thank you that really helped me to adjust the process , i have created a third party credentials from the admin console also set both feilds "username" and "password" and affect the key to the scsExternalSystemKey parameter as shown here:

= 'type!{http://plugins.ps.appiancorp.com/suite/types/}FT_Config'(
    privateKeyFile: cons!ETT_SERVER_PRIVATE_KEY_RSA,
    serverHostName: cons!ETT_Hostname,
    serverPort: 22,
    timeout: 20000,
    usePerUserCredentials: false(),
    scsExternalSystemKey: "credentials"
    )

but still the process goes until the end node without creating any file on the remote server

and this is the third party credentials interface : 

the problem is im not facing any error this is why i can t resolve it 

• +1
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to hamzas0003

Are there any Error or Status values being returned from your sFTP node?

Can you share your "remote file path" and "document to send" configurations?  Note that the "remote file path" should include the sFTP server's path from root as well as the full eventual remote filename, as specified in the sFTP plug-in documentation.

in reply to Mike Schmitt

thank you ,so on the status im receiving "Failed" while here is a screen shot on how im configuring the remote file path and the document to send : 

also here is a screenshot of the tomcat-stdOut.log that i think is the problem here ,its returning the auth fail for some reason:

• +1
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to hamzas0003

This is an sFTP server, your remote path wouldn't have "c:" in it.  The root directory should simply be "/".  Directories are denoted with a forward slash, not backslashes like in Windows. 

1) Are you able to view the sFTP's root directory through a normal sFTP client to verify that the path you're trying to send the file to actually exists?

2) I'd suggest you try to send it to the root directory first, just to see if you can get it to work.

in reply to Mike Schmitt

It's working now after fixing the path. Additionally, the privateKeyFile was causing authentication issues. Thank you for your assistance

Certified Senior Developer
    in reply to hamzas0003

Hello!

I'm experiencing the same issue you had. I have configured the scsExternalSystemKey, but only with the username because I don't have a password. I assume that if I have a private key file, the password is not necessary, but I'm not sure.

On the other hand, you mentioned that the privateKeyFile was causing authentication issues. Could you share the issues you had and how you fixed them? Just in case I encounter similar problems with my privateKeyFile.

Thank you!

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Caro
    I assume that if I have a private key file, the password is not necessary, but I'm not sure

This is something you need to discuss with your sFTP administrator.  Did they tell you to provide a private key file?  If your sFTP login is really a username only and no password (and you can login that way with a regular FTP client like fileZilla), then you probably don't need the key file.

Reply Children
No Data