Hi everyone, I have a question regarding the plug in of Set External

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the plug in of Set External PVs. The guide document is not very helpful in terms of how to configure the smart service with my process module. For example, where should I connect this smart service with my existing process module which includes the pvs that our end users want to edit. Is there a form that our end user can fill out the process ID and pv value?

What I am trying to achieve is to allow our end users to go back to a completed process instance and update the value of certain pvs (could involve multiple process models). Can I do that by using this plug in?

Thank you so much in advance for your help!
Lin

OriginalPostID-151006

OriginalPostID-151006

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • I'm not sure if using this plug-in would be the best approach. If your data in the processes come from the database through the use of query rules I think it would be enough by creating a related action (if using Tempo) or an Action to update the values in the database so the process/record, when running its query rules returns the updated data (see forum.appian.com/.../Records_Tutorial.html and forum.appian.com/.../Application_Building_Tutorial.html

In any case I'm attaching a video showing how you can use this plug-in to update the data in other processes. In the video you can see that I'm storing the process ID which makes it easier since the plug-in needs the process ID and the names of the variables to update. If you were using Records and Related Actions for process-backed records this would be easier.

The video shows the model used to Edit the Approval Request, this is what the user above was talking about, you need to expose the capability building a model, the "Get and Set External PVs" plug-in is nothing else but a smart service that you can drag and drop to your models, it's not a whole component that gives you the capability right a way, you still need to build a model to support it assuming you want an external model to update the values.

Notice how if you were using Quick Tasks (Legacy Apps Portal) or Related Actions (Tempo) this update would take place within the same process and not externally, but I guess your idea is to update values in running instances which makes it more complex if you wanted to add this functionality to the existing process, still doable but maybe you consider it more complex.

Have a look at the attached video by opening on Chrome (simply drag and drop the file)

get_set_pvs_example.swf

• I'm not sure if using this plug-in would be the best approach. If your data in the processes come from the database through the use of query rules I think it would be enough by creating a related action (if using Tempo) or an Action to update the values in the database so the process/record, when running its query rules returns the updated data (see forum.appian.com/.../Records_Tutorial.html and forum.appian.com/.../Application_Building_Tutorial.html

In any case I'm attaching a video showing how you can use this plug-in to update the data in other processes. In the video you can see that I'm storing the process ID which makes it easier since the plug-in needs the process ID and the names of the variables to update. If you were using Records and Related Actions for process-backed records this would be easier.

The video shows the model used to Edit the Approval Request, this is what the user above was talking about, you need to expose the capability building a model, the "Get and Set External PVs" plug-in is nothing else but a smart service that you can drag and drop to your models, it's not a whole component that gives you the capability right a way, you still need to build a model to support it assuming you want an external model to update the values.

Notice how if you were using Quick Tasks (Legacy Apps Portal) or Related Actions (Tempo) this update would take place within the same process and not externally, but I guess your idea is to update values in running instances which makes it more complex if you wanted to add this functionality to the existing process, still doable but maybe you consider it more complex.

Have a look at the attached video by opening on Chrome (simply drag and drop the file)

get_set_pvs_example.swf

Children
No Data