starting a particular instance

Hi All,

Can i start a particular node and particular process instance from any external click (i.e from interface ) ?? 

Thanks,

Bhargavi 

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Hi,

If you know the process instance ID then using messaging you can Start / Restart any node in that process. Your target process should be configured with a receive message node .

From an Interface click start a process Instance that sends a message to your target process instances receive message node .

-Thoufiq.

• Hi,

I am able to start now using the same way but its written that
    The option to start a process using the Send Message Event node has been deprecated, and will be removed in a future version of Appian. Use the Start Process smart service instead.

how tp user start process smart service to start particular instance ?
    Certified Senior Developer
    in reply to bhargavip0001
    Hi bhargavip0001,

---> AFAIK, Start Process Smart Service allows you to initiate a process from another process, a web API, or an interface. The new process is started asynchronously, and the process flow of the current process continues immediately after all activity-chaining completes.
    ---> But in your case, you want to start the particular process instance, in my view it is not possible through that smart service. you should manually go to the monitoring mode and start the particular instance.

Regards,
    Krishna.
    Certified Senior Developer
    Hi bhargavip0001,

---> AFAIK, Start Process Smart Service allows you to initiate a process from another process, a web API, or an interface. The new process is started asynchronously, and the process flow of the current process continues immediately after all activity-chaining completes.
    ---> But in your case, you want to start the particular process instance, in my view it is not possible through that smart service. you should manually go to the monitoring mode and start the particular instance.

Regards,
    Krishna.
Children
  • Hi Krishna,

Thanks for the replay ,

I am fine with how to use that smart service but i wanted to know if send message event is going to depreciate means which one can be used to start particular instance ?? i cant start manually it should make automatic

Thanks,
    Bhargavi
  • +1
    A Score Level 2

Hi Bhargavi,

You have a process model and some of the instances are running. Now you want to use send message to trigger only particular instances of that process model.

I believe when you are triggering the specific Instances means, at run time only you need to get the Destination Process instances id's and trigger the further Execution of those Process instances with Send Message event.

In the above scenario you are picking up the selected Process instance Id's based on a condition. Now have that condition present in a DB table.

Now periodically run a process with the help of timer event, pull the matching rows from the DB where your condition satisfies:

If rows are not present then you can end the process here.

If rows are coming up, then you design the same work flow that is done in the receive message event PM.

Once you start the work flow Make sure the existing row/ Matching should be updated to inactive so that we can avoid re triggering of the instances.