What is the use of Active Class Parameters (ac!)

What is the use of Active Class Parameters (ac!)?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Hi ,

In layman term I can say it is local variable. The scope of this ac! within that node only. You can manipulate this ac! value and store it into different variable i.e. pv!.

Thanks,
    Sandeep
    Certified Associate Developer
    It is also a temporary variable in the sense it does not take up memory like a pv.
  • In adition to above comments. Please note. It is dificult to do trouble shoting of the values if you rely on the ac! variables. For instance there is a node where I am doing some calclation on the list and store it in the ac variable and then I have done one more data manipulation on ac ans stored it in the pv. In this case it is very hard to find ac vairable at the run time.
  • Hi tirumalar0001,

Activity class parameter is a local parameter that are used with in the node.

for suppose, if you add variables and ouput is stored in another variable that is useful for entire flow in that case u can create ac! parameters in the input (of data tab)
  • Hi tirumalar,

AFAIK Activity class parameters are commonly referred to as node inputs, they are containers used to store and input data in an activity class. ACPs are the parameters defined as part of the activity class shipped with Appian, whereas node inputs also refer to any custom node inputs defined by a user. Entering a value in an ACP determines how the activity will execute. The input values can come from a process variable, expression evaluation, constant, or literal value and can be mapped to a process variable.

Here I am also adding few points i.e, When should I create a new activity class parameter?
    For attended nodes, where a user is expected to submit a form before continuing a process, create an activity class parameter for data produced from the form (read only data does not need an activity class parameter). For unattended nodes, where the system will execute the activity, create activity class parameters when the node requires additional values before executing (for example, CDT data for the write to data store entity smart service).

Thanks,
    ravalik

Certified Senior Developer
    In addition to all the above comments, ac! used in User Input Task Nodes have another use case.

When an rule input (ri!) is used to save some field values, we will be creating ac variables(latest versions of appian automatically creates ac variables when we pick a form in the Forms page of UIT). The value given in the fields will be saved locally in the ac variable when ri for that field is mapped with this ac variable in the Forms page. When a user has filled in the details for the field and gives Save Draft option, and comes later and picks the task from the Tasks tab, the value will be automatically loaded in that particular field taking it from the ac variable. This will reduce the effort of the user to refill the details.