Custom Email Sender - Remove Server address in Via / on behalf

Certified Senior Developer

Hi,

we are using 19.4 cloud version.

We are using custom sender email node, In that server address is appending upfront as via / on behalf. Need to remove via / on behalf and server address.

From address should show only IT Service Desk (help@example.com). Via part should not come.

Now the question is whether it can be fixed at configuration level it has to be fixed on Appian side, by raising support ticket.

Thanks in advance.

Lakshmi.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

I've raised this issue with Appian before.  What's happening is that your environment's "admin email address" (which for cloud sites, can only be configured by Appian support) is forced to be the value for the "sender" field in the email headers.  The one you provide in the Send Email node goes in the "from" header field.  Many mail servers will include the "on behalf of" text when both of these are present but the email addresses don't match.  Again, this is all from my own observation so I can't speak to the exact technical details.

I was told at the time that this is a "security feature", because it prevents someone from using the Appian send email node to spoof an email from a different sender.  The drawback being that it severely limits usefulness of this field due to the "on behalf of" text which is just asking for increased user confusion.

Certified Lead Developer

I've raised this issue with Appian before.  What's happening is that your environment's "admin email address" (which for cloud sites, can only be configured by Appian support) is forced to be the value for the "sender" field in the email headers.  The one you provide in the Send Email node goes in the "from" header field.  Many mail servers will include the "on behalf of" text when both of these are present but the email addresses don't match.  Again, this is all from my own observation so I can't speak to the exact technical details.

I was told at the time that this is a "security feature", because it prevents someone from using the Appian send email node to spoof an email from a different sender.  The drawback being that it severely limits usefulness of this field due to the "on behalf of" text which is just asking for increased user confusion.

Children